6 year old keeps coming out of his room

I put my six year old to bed at 8p.m. every night and sometimes as late as 10 p.m. he is still coming out. He has every excuse in the book.. from being thirsty to believing he has chicken pox. He is not getting enough sleep and is whining and impatient through out the day. I've taken privlages away and even sat down to talk to him but nothing is working. Anyone else going through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh yeah. It's just that age. If you don't already, make up a bedtim routine. We do bath, pj's, brush teeth, read for awhile and then lights out. She's 7 now, so it's gotten much better, but there are still times she's up and in and out for awhile. Also, try getting in more activities through the day so he's more tired at bed time and make sure he does NOT sleep at all through the day. If he's tired and starts to fall asleep, wake him up and say, that's why you need to go to bed when we tell you to, so you're not tired all day. Good luck!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Baby Gate!
    Anonymous

• Anonymous 10; 23 he is 6 yrs. old....Hello!!!

I totally agree with Wademom313 that is pretty much what we do not to mention I leave a small fan on blowing and those white noise machines that also helps them to sleep.

And you'll have to be very firm with him tell him you need to stay in your bed or else!!! Now I don't know if you do spankings but we do and if it gets that far we will and have done it. That has helped too. GL You are the boss not the child.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Good idea with the fan / white noise machine.. we do have a bedtime routine but I think he's afraid he is missing something because he can hear DH and I watching tv and talking. Drowning out the sound is a very good idea.. thanks for the tips ladies.. well.. except for the baby gate..LOL..
    Anonymous

• Every night this week! It's because we're back to school this week after having Spring Break. I'm hoping next week will be better.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As a mom all you can do is to keep being persistant and dont give up. Your not alone I am going through that same stage and Ive went through that stage. You can do it!!! I believe in you!
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I've dealt with this so many times and still do occasionally. When one of the kids gets out of bed I take their hand and lead them back to bed. I don't say anything to them I just put them in bed and leave the room. And I have had to do this for hours on end before. But after they realize they aren't getting ANY attention since you're not talking to them as you do this they realize they should just stay in bed. And after the first few times you do this the time it takes to get them to stay in bed will start to be shorter.
    Eleanor_Rigby

Answer by Eleanor_Rigby at 1:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2009