• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know....

if i should continue taking my antidepressants while pregnant? I have a doctors appointment on Monday. I just wanted to know if anyone else had been in the same position and what your dr said. I have been taking Celexa for PPD for the last 8 months but just found out a few days ago i'm pregnant again. Any advice before i go to the doctors? Thanks in advance....

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 11:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Celexa is a category C pregnancy medication... Basically meaning that it MAY be safe during pregnancy, but there are risks that you take while taking it. It is sssociated with a rare but serious newborn lung problem (persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn, or PPHN) when taken during the last half of pregnancy. Zoloft alo has the same risks.

You COULD take this during the 1st 3 months and then later switch to Paxil. Paxil only has issues during the 1st trimester, so this may be an option for you, but please discuss it with your doctor before taking anyone's advice.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I would think that the medication would say on the bottle not to take during pregnancy if it wasn't safe. I would call the doctor now and ask, someone is on call. Or even call the pharmacy and ask.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't quit til your appointment on Monday. I think you have to be weaned off anti-depressants or it can do some major damage. Or, call the afterhours line and ask them. But I'm pretty sure you'll have to be weaned off. And I think some pregnant women do take those during pegnancy. I'm not sure, I'd just continue and ask on Monday though.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009