I took a stray cat to a shelter today I asked them how long to they put them up for adoption before they put them to sleep & the woman at the counter said

they aren't allowed to tell that to the public............does anyone know how long they keep them for??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pets

• In Las vegas they give them 72 hours for the owners to claim them and then another 72 hours to adopt then they kill em...if it's a kill shelter that's usually how they do it. If it's like a humane society type place they don't kill them.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Usually you can look that stuff up in the county or city code. In Seattle, I think it's 72 hours, although I don't know how strict they are about it. If you don't want to take the risk, I recommend taking the cat to a no-kill shelter. Just type in your location and "no kill" and you should be able to find several rescue groups in your area.

Good luck and bless you for your compassion!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, I think calliesmommie is right, it's a very short amount of time. Unless it's a no kill shelter. But I checked a site at a no kill shelter in Seattle and there were like 375 live cats waiting for homes....sometimes putting them down is better than sitting in a cage. SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PETS PEOPLE!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• YES jeanclaudia....thank you!! SPAY AND NEUTER!! DAMN! not you OP..cuz you're sweet for at least rescuing it. Ive been trying to catch this stupid cat outside of my house for months but he's not neutered and he runs from me. he lets me pet him and i feed him and gave him a bed but I jsut can't catch him. but thank you for being nice to the little kitty.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You should keep the kitty and take care of it.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 10:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Where I live its 3 days.....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2009