At what age can a cat be declawwed?

I have a cat she is a calico I have had her for 5 yrs. now I meant to take care of this earlier but never got around to it. I used to let her roam around the house but she got a hold of our new leather sofa my dh was pissed and now we keep her in the bathroom :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I think as long as they are up to date on shots it can be done at anytime after 8wks old.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Seriously...look up declawing. Theyre not just taking the nail, they are taking the first knuckle and cutting it off. Cats lose their balance, 60%of them stop using the litter b/c it BURNS to scratch it. It's a HORRIBLY inhumane thing to do. Have you ever heard of "softpaws" . theyre like little rubber covers that you put over the cat's nail or you can just clip them EVERY week. I have 2 cats WITH claws and NO scratches on ANY furniture....you need to research it tho, a lot of vets don't even do it b/c it's so mean.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How old do you need to be before I cut your fingers off at the first knuckle? That's what they do you know, not that it's much better than having your fingernails ripped out by the roots.
    Anonymous

• Can be done but much better to do it earlier. That said, DO it if it otherwise means you'll have to get rid of her. I did mine late too and always felt badly because it hurt for a long time and they were sensitive for like years. He had to wear a pain patch and I was so sad but still, get it done. I really learned my lesson, declaw very young.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• or dont declaw AT ALL....there are PLENTY of other options
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Better off finding a home for her if she's gonna get locked in a bathroom...shoulda thought of that before you got a cat or a leather couch.
    Anonymous

• The other posters are right, it is a mean thing to do. I'm a bad cat mommy, seriously, but my cats were attacking my children and I didn't want to get rid of them. Still bad....talk to a vet.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Our vet said he doesn't like to do it after age 2. That before that the cat adjusts pretty well, after that it is harder.

Answer by Bmat at 12:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's never to late to have them de clawed , I wouldn't pay for it though then to still have your dh still be pissed at her. Just get rid of it . Any time he looks at the leather sofa and see what it did to it  he is going to be STILL pissed at it I would think?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To all the anti- Declawers= Better to have a cat declawed then homeless or dead. There are to many cats being out to sleep over this sort of behavior. Yes it is what cats do but then we get back to better declwed than homeless or dead. The procedure sound horrible I will admit but if it is done correctly by a competent vet then it heals very well with in a few days. They get pain meds and if it is done by laser then it is even less painful. Soft paws do not work for every cat. It is worth a try before declawing but a lot of cats have half of them chewed off with in a few days. BTW I have never in my 10 yr career seen a cat that has balance trouble from being declawed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009