If a woman says, "I don't want kids", would you tend to believe or disbelieve that person?

I ran into a young 23-ish (umarried) woman that said she doesn't ever want kids, and I thought - well, maybe later she'll change her mind. Now, my dsd, who is 13, says she doesn't want kids! I don't believe her. What do you think?

merryheart

Asked by merryheart at 12:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I never wanted kids. Ever! I was 32 when we got the news of our little guy. (Accident). I don't believe in abortion either, So I had him. He is now the best thing that has ever happened to me.  :)

lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• After having 3 of my own I not only believe them but applaud them. They are wise females. (ok, I'm being funny) Some ppl have no business being parents (I think the newspapers are fully of stories to prove that). Some ppl have no desire to have them. I have met many women like that. They chose a career over motherhood. I commend any woman who knows she doesn't want to be a mother for sticking to her principles. She knows she would probably not make a good mother. There is a lot to be said for a woman who knows that's not her thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Depends on the person. I've met some cold-hearted bitches who though kids we're the reason women didn't always get far in life and made other women look bad.

I've also met young girls who just haven't found the right man, or have been mistreated.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• a lot of people just enjoy their singleish freedom & less responsibilities. i have a lot of friends that say that too. i believe them.. for now. but part me knows that somewhere down the line.. eventually, most of them will have kids..

a lot of the reasoning is, "i dont need kids, (i have yours), which is great because you can always give them back!"
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I used to say I never wanted kids...I was a child though. Needless to say I changed my mind and I'm 24 weeks pregnant now with my first and I couldn't be happier. I think yes there are ppl out there who honestly don't want kids for whatever reason, and probably will never change their mind. However there are other women out there who will say they don't want kids but I'm sure somewhere inside of them or somewhere down the road they will change their minds. I guess its just different for everyone.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My friend said she didn't want kids had an abortion and now wants them but the drs said she can't
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I do believe them, and I respect them for having that view and sticking to it. I have a friend who says she never wants kids and she is 30. I rather her feel like that and be outspoken about it, then be afraid to admit it and possibly end up pregnant with an unwanted child. If someone can say, look I dont want to have kids and I am not going to, I respect their decision and admire the fact they believe it in enough to be outspoken about it
    I on the other hand knew since a young child I always wanted a lot of kids. lol
    sweetluvo02

Answer by sweetluvo02 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My grandmother always said that women that said that just haven't found the right man yet.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I tend to not believe them unless they are in their 30's LOL.

You never know whats around the bend.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I ALWAYS said I would never have kids because I was afraid they'd turn out like me (I was a trouble maker as a child and did a lot of things my parents didn't know and that scared me when thinking what a child of mine would do) HOWEVER I now have a handsome 2 year old and can't wait to have 2 more (well technically I can and will wait but you know what I mean)

Now my Aunt said she did not want any children and she has stuck to it. Not because she thought it would hold her back but because she (still to this day at 56) has zero tolerance for kids and didn't think she would be a good mother (she's a fantastic Aunt but I'm glad she has no kids)

SO it depends on the person and who they are as a whole
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2009