how long is nomal for a 7 week old to sleep

i know its sort of an exostential question, but im worried a little my 7 week old started sleeping about 6 hours a night at 4 weeks and last night she slept 8 hours from 10 pm to 6 am, and 7 hours the night before.
is this normal?
i will wake her up to eat and she will suck like 2 times and fall back asleep and not wake up. she acts like she doesnt want to eat at night.
i know some ppl will be like 'your lucky blah blah blah' buti worry that she sleeps too long
im going to ask her doctor about it, but am looking for input thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Praise the gods that she slept 6 hours!! GO BABY!

She will wake if she's hungry and needs to eat, so let her sleep soundly and get some zzz's yourself ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• let her sleep...but try to get her to stay awake to feed as long as possible before going to bed for the night...try by tickling her feet or a cool washcloth something to keep her awake...i had the same problem minus the sleeping thru the night thing...but she will eat when shes hungry...just be sure shes not grazing thru the day and try to get her to eat at least 20 mins each feeding if u can...shell figure it out soon enough it just seems like shes got the night time schedule down though...good luck...
    lavoiesmom

Answer by lavoiesmom at 12:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I had the same worry with mine, and she is fine. She slept about the same as yours at that age. She is 8 months now, and sleeps 10-12 hours at night, and 2 naps during the day. Some are just better sleepers than others.

To all the sleep deprived mommies...please don't send me hate mail, lol. I am sure the next baby will be the exact opposite.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• she eats ALOT all day long so i think shes getting enough, it is unusual since she is exclusively bfed and my son wasnt like this, my mil says just be happy shes not up every 30 minutes like your son so i try to relax but im worried she doesnt get enough at night......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Let her sleep. I was told by the nurse that did my home visit when my son was little. And she said if he sleeps through feedings during the day to wake him, but let him wake you up at night, dont wake him. Feel lucky that your baby is sleeping through the night already. Thats what happened with my son too. Started about 6 weeks, and hes almost 5 months and still sleeping through the night. I love it.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Leave your baby be. My DD is 2 months and she sleeps 8 hours through the night, without any interuptions, I LOVE it :) and get my sleep too! When baby is hungry baby will wake up :)
    Nheoks03

Answer by Nheoks03 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter just started sleeping through the night. She is 7 weeks old now and its amazing. she was waking up every 3 hours to eat 4 ounces, but now she will go about 5-7 hours sleeping and when she wakes up will eat about 4 1/2 maybe 5 1/2 ounces. she is also staying awake for longer periods though. she will now stay awake for about 3-5 hour stretches. so I wouldn't be to concerned.
    oldpoohbear

Answer by oldpoohbear at 5:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009