• In the Spotlight:

Why do some Autistc adults eat so fast like somebody is going to steal the food and what is she thinking when she laughs all the time,she's my 24 year old niece who is driving me crazy and she gets annoyed with my son who's 4 years old,Should I be thinking about residences for her because she needs supervision and my son needs me?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 12:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• She just doesn't understand, and she doesn't think the same way you do. Definitely get some help, because you have to take care of your son, obviously.

About her eating and laughing... you could try reassuring that it's okay, that no one will take the food away from her whens he eats. Also, maybe she just finds other things funny or scary so she laughs, but they don't seem that way to you because she thinks tdifferently.

Good luck!
    A.W.96

Answer by A.W.96 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Autistic children/adults thinks differently they can't help it. My son has autism he jumps around, claps his hands and laughs for no reason somtimes he can't help it.

Maybe try looking into some classes for her.

Good Luck.
    2lovables

Answer by 2lovables at 12:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have some info you might find helpful. Message me and i can share.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• What if she were to go to an adult day care type of facility so you can have family time and she can just be there at night and weekends?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• No. You should be thinking about adult care for her because you really don't want to take care of her.
    You are expecting her to think and act like a normal adult. That isn't fair to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Is there an adult daycare near you where she can go during the day? A residential halfway type house wouldn't be a bad idea. She can kind of live alone but have supervision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2009