help my choking baby girl...

about a month ago i woke up 2 lavoie choking...suctioned her mouth and nose out...she screamed and cried to clear her airway and than the incident was over...or so i thought...it happened again about a week later then again 2 more times...dr said to have her sleep upright in her car seat to see if it helped...it didnt so he perscribed zantec...it happened again today which was the first day lavoie was on the meds and it was the worst choking so far...its a mucusy kind of bile that comes up that she chokes on which was why dr said acid reflux but ive never heard of it being so bad to the point of choking...has anyone else had this problem or at least heard of it...lavoie is 2 months and a week old and its breaking my heart and im losing the little sleep im getting worrying about her thru the night...please help...

lavoiesmom

Asked by lavoiesmom at 12:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my, I am so sorry, poor baby. It just doesn't seem right. Take her to another doctor, perhaps an allergist, or another pediatrician, or to an urgent care clinic where they have a variety of doctors, or the ER for the same reason.

Answer by Bmat at 12:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• you might want to try a different doctor... it doesn't sound like this one has a good idea or permanent solution. have they tested her liver function? she may have an allergy. there is a rare disorder i think called lacticemia where a child cannot tolerate lactose at all and can be a major problem. i am no medical professional but can think of many different scenarios. if it were me i would be just as worried. don't feel like you are trapped at the one doctor and follow your instinct until you get an answer that makes sense. if you can, you might want to consider a pediatric ER - they can have a better handle on unusual symptoms.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'd get a second opinion. The same thing your describing happened to my daughter once, and I did the whole suction out the mouth and nose thing that you did, but it never happened again. I'm sorry you have to deal with this! I lost so much sleep just over the choking episode happening once, I would never be able to sleep if it happened frequently.

I'm sorry your having to deal with this! I'd definitely keep her in your room with you at night so you can hear her well. You could also try a humidifier so the mucous doesnt build up in the first place. Put a few drops of breastmilk or warm saline drops(a quarter of a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water) in her nose before she goes to sleep and suck out her nose often.

I hope you get this figured out!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes my oldest was like that exactly. switch her to enfamil fortified with rice cereal for babies who spit up it's the greenish blue can I believe, make sure she burps well and elevate her while sleeping. Learn the baby hymlic I wouldn't advise the meds from my experience they make it worse. Good luck any other questions on this let me know.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I second the 2nd opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• DONG switch her to formula if your breastfeeding, and get another doctor's opinion.
    Anonymous

• Woops... I meant DONT not DONG.. lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Try smaller more frequent feedings... you may need a new formula if she takes formula or cut something out of your diet if she is breastfed. Formula: she might need hypoallergenic or one of the formulas like Enfamil AR might help her. If she is BF then cutting out things like dairy in your diet might help.
    Make sure she is burped frequently and upright for 30 mins after a feeding.
    I would actually AVOID her car seat after feedings... the angle they sit in puts too much pressure on the tummy and can make reflux worse. Try something like a bouncy seat or incline her crib matress by putting a pillow under it on one side.
    Keep trying the medication... it might take a few doses before it starts helping.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my daughter has asthma and would stop breathing when she was a baby,get rid of the pets and when she is over 1 yr. give her manuka honey. allergy test her?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i agree to the getting a second opinion.. if your current dr is thinking something along the lines of acid reflux.. it could actually be that other condition.. i can't think of the name at the moment..

but something along the lines of a baby being able to regurgitate her food.. but because she's a baby she can't control it just yet.. some type of hole or something in her stomach. idk.. let me look it up first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009