Can a homeschooled child join the military?

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 12:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes.
    The Marines are the pickiest, generally not accepting GED's from kids who dropped out of high school - they feel it shows a lack of commitment and follow through. The other branches usually don't care.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• There's no reason why s/he couldn't. The military might require him/her to take the GED first (most state colleges and universities do as well) unless s/he has a state-issued diploma - for instance, if s/he went through an approved cyberschool.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Oh, and I'm not saying a homeschooled kid dropped out of anything. I'm just telling you of the only restriction I've heard of.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You just need a diploma, not a state issued one. If you go to a private school your diploma isn't state issued and it works for the military, colleges and universities. My friend's mom made theirs on the computer and works for every where.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Of course. Depending on the child, he or she would probably be an asset. I use to be apart of a homeschooling network( church). My daughter did not like it but she did much better grade wise and overall character. If your child has missed being around people other than siblings, he or she probably will look forward to the social part of the experience. On the other hand this could be like a culture shock to them since he or she has not seen as much as a kid who has not been homeschooled
    delisa374

Answer by delisa374 at 4:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We have a friend who was homeschooled and he is in the military.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• lol, yes! I was homeschooled and graduated highschool, and collage.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• id go talk to the recruiter so much has change they are so ddarn picky now
    Anonymous