sunblock

My baby is almost 5 months old. And it is finally starting to get warm outside and hes a pale little guy. And we have started to take walks, but I am always so scared he will get sun burnt. I bought some baby sun block, but it says not to use before 6 months. So I was just wondering if anyone else has used it sooner? And what else I can do to prevent him getting sun burnt?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ive used baby sun block on my 3 month old and shes fine. Check into a net specifically desinged for carseats/strollers. We have one that helps keep from bugs getting in, but I imagine it helps with the direct sun too.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You are right to be concerned about his skin. Ask the pediatrician what to use. And meanwhile keep him shaded. The strollers should have hoods that would keep him shaded.

Answer by Bmat at 12:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My pediatrician always said no sunblock before six months and to keep baby in the shade.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The stroller does have a hood, but at times the sun will still shine in on him, and Id hate to over heat him by trying to cover him up.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was also told the 6month rule too
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The Academy of Pediatrics actually just updated the 6 month rule to say that you CAN use sunblock before then. Of course, ask your Pediatrician about your specific baby, but I would use it on a 5 month old baby.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• FYI, heres the link. It sounds like that rule was in place more or less to make sure that parents were taking other precautions as well when out in the sun.
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;104/2/328
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009