Wanted to know about a certain medicine?

My 16 month old daughter's pediatrician prescribed an inhaler to her for a cough and runny nose. I was wondering if this is normal...I've never heard of a dr. giving a child an inhaler for a cold. My main concern is I don't want her exposed to the steriods that cause the airways to open....maybe she'll have to be dependant on it. She does not have asthma or bronchitis or a chronic respratory infection...just a cold. Someone please help me out with some advice on this one. Thanx...Rachelle

rachelann_06

Asked by rachelann_06 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• albuteral or pulmicort?my advice child over 1 give manuka honey instead it is great for asthma. NNNNATURAL !
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter had the same thing. YOu only use it until the cough goes away. It helps to break up the mucus in the lungs so it doesn't turn into something more serious. She wont become dependent on it as she is to young to rely on it. So either give it to her or risk her having a more serious infection from the mucus. It could turn into rsv, bronchitis or end up in the hospital for a serious infection.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• She doesn't have asthma or a wet cough....it's a very dry cough....
    rachelann_06

Answer by rachelann_06 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• ALLERGY COUGH SOUND KIND OF DRY GET A HUMIDIFIER AND PUT THE CAT IN THE BASEMENT,HOW OLD IS SHE?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• she has a dry cough because her bronchi are constricted. The inhaler contains a bronchodilater. That means the medicine in it makes the little sacs in her lungs open up so that air can get in to help her breathe. Breathing is real important. One does not become dependant on steroids after a short term course during an illness. Steroids have anti inflammatory properties that also help with breathing...why don't you just give her the meds like the doctor told you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• MANUKA HONEY IS GOOD FOR A COLD TOO, FOR THOSE OVER AGE 1 THOUGH!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i REFUSE TOO PUT MY 3 YR. OLD ON LOADS OF MEDS FOR HER ASTHMA.AND i FOUND THIS WORKED TWICE A DAY IN TEA OR COFFEE LIL BIT COFFEE!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You know what? I don't trust doctors. BUT, I dealt with them during my childrens times of illness. My middle child would always react to viruses and have a respiratory reaction. He required an inhaler during those time periods. If you do not use the inhaler, it can be difficult for them to breathe. I did it both ways, no meds and with meds. With meds the illnesses went away faster. Just my .02. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think it has something to do with allergies...runny nose and all the mucus draining down her throat is causing an irritation making her cough. And whoever made the statement, "Breathing is important.", don't insult my intelligence. Just because I don't agree with what the doctor ordered doesn't make me a moron. Doctors aren't always right.
    rachelann_06

Answer by rachelann_06 at 4:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• She probably was wheezy and that is why they gave her the inhaler... I assume it's albuterol which isn't a steroid. But if she seems fine without the medication then it's not required... it's something you give only as needed.
    But if she does have pulimcort, which is a steroid, it's safe to take and isn't going to become dependent on it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2009