When did you KNOW it was a first word?

My son will be 5 months old in 10 days. He's been saying "dadadadadadaa" frequently recently. He was saying it tonight (although Dad isn't home). I'd like to believe that he is saying "Dada" but he's also going "Babababa" (and doesn't have a bottle) which leads me to believe it's just gibberish and he's not really trying to refer to his dad or anything else...just babble.

How do you KNOW when they're saying their first word?

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 12:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told dada is most commonly a childs first word and though its not exactly associated with thier daddy, there is no harm in making daddy believe so. baba and dada are thier ways of trying to pronounce first words... youll get lots of gibberish but most people consider the dada or mama to be thier first words, my daughter said duck and book next... though it feels good to hear the dada and mama they are kindof just sounds... but don't take them for granted it could have been gaga or caca first lol... they hear the dada and mama and thats why they repeat them. even if they aren't sure what they mean yet~
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I too have been wondering this, my baby will be 5 months old in about a week, and will say mum mum. So kinda like mom, but im not sure if its that or just noises. He makes lots of those.haha
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at this young of an age it's most likely just babbling for fun. Around 7 or 8 months is when their able to sign back in sign language, so i'd guess that's also generally when they're able to put meaning behind "mama" and "dada".

:)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You will know when they look at what they either want/have and say the word. My son babbles too and when parents say "my child's first word was at 4 months...." is not true. To them it is a sound. My son is 8 months and just started saying momma when I walk away or he's crawling towards me. I know he knows what he's saying now. He's been saying dada for months and his dad doesn't live with us so I know he doesn't know what it means.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i used to wonder this too. but i figured when my daughter is obviously putting a label to things (sees me and says 'mama' or ever calls for me *hehe*, etc.) then she's definitely learning to say her first word. but if shes just going 'mamamamlaskdfjcnzzweu' and is doing whatever it's just gibberish.. my dd is now 11 months.. and her gibbery babbling and definitely improved! i'm so excited!! she actually puts emphasis on certain "words".

but yay! when you realize you've told your child to do something and they do it, it's SO exciting!!!
    recently my daughter has shown she knows what to do when we say "bye bye" (waves hand), or "no" (shakes head), or 'where does that sock go?' and she places it on top of your/her foot depending on who it belongs to. OMG it's so exciting! but she doesn't ALWAYS listen of course, esp when she'd rather do her own thing. but i'm def more curious of WHAT her first word will be... *CoughMommyCough*
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a friend that swears her 5, almost 6 month old calls out "Maaa!!" to her (and has been for the past month which means she started at 4.5 months). I thought, well gee is her kid either really advanced, is mine slow or is she misinterpreting her daughter just trying to learn to sound out consonants? I guess it's the sounding-out and learning to talk bit but I don't ever want to burst anyone's bubble lol.

I definitely don't want to twist reality but pretending his words were rediculously early. When I hear it for the first time, I want to make sure it's REAL. I don't want to be one of those moms that hears "baaa" for the first time and then tells everyone that her 3 month old was asking for his bottle please lol you know?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I knew my son was actually saying words when he would say it right after me. If he can copy you I think that counts as talking. My son said "dada" at 6 months and his dad was hardly ever around. (working) He said it because I said it a lot and it soon turned into "Daddy". He also growled/roared at 5 months. He loves tigers and he has a puppet one that roars. So I like to think my son's first "word" was, "RAWR!" LOL
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 2:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My son said "mama" and "dada" a long time before it had meaning. He says "mama" now and wants me... I know it has meaning because he will cry for me and try to come to me and say my name but "dada" for him still has no meaning... it's just a sound he makes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2009