Absent Parentz-What would U do?

i just bought a house in a new neighborhood last Oct. Since it has been getting nicer out, the neighborhood kids come to play (which is fine if i meet with the parents and all that) but..there are like 5 or maybe 8 kids that the mothers are like NOWHERE to be found and these kids are 7 and under! all day they roam around! One of the parents even told her dd to tell me she was busy on the computer and couldnt come to the door to meet me! the kids ask for food and i feel as though itz my responsibility to make sure they arent getting hit by a car or snatched up! UGH, ive got three of my own to look after...what would you do?

Sexy_Mama82

Asked by Sexy_Mama82 at 1:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I guess the best thing would be to invite them all over to your house to get to know one another. Like a housewarming party.

Then, I would advise you not to be taken advantage of. They go home to eat, etc. But what kind of neighborhood are you in? Busy streets, etc. would make me nervous too. However, if you are in a small town, and most of those people know each other, they may be watching more than you think. All you can do in the end is impose limits on what your kids can do and just be aware of anything obvious for the other kids, not watch them and become the neighborhood sitter.

And if all else fails, remember that in 10 years, that your house might still be the place to be, and you will know all of those kids, what they are doing, their problems, and who you want your kids to stay away from.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I feel you on this. I am big mama of the block. I can tell you this, dont start anything that you cant or dont wish to continue doing, it becomes a pattern. Its sad they roam around but its not your responsibility to provide care for neighbors kids because they are neglecting them. You can always write the HOA and they can send out notices to address the issue, send pictures and dates, that helps alot. Giving them food will turn into them showing up asking for food and then turn into their parent sending them to ask for food. You can only do so much. Its good that you are concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• If you feel it is such a problem, then why are you not calling the copS. You should also be calling CPS if the kids are out at that young of an age and not being watched.

It's not your job to watch the kids for all the other parentS. It is your job to watch YOUR kidS, not everyone elseS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I WOULD NOT GET INVOLVED, I HAD A SIMILAR THING GOING ON WHEN MY KIDS WERE YOUNG, AND I JUST TOOK CARE OF THE KIDS WHILE THEY WERE IN MY HOUSE, BUT AT NIGHT THEY HAD TO GO HOME. THERE WAS A 3 YEAR OLD SPECIALLY ENJOYED ME READING HER BOOKS OR DOING HER HAIR, I ENJOYED IT AS MUCH AS THEY DID, THEY WERE STRIVING FOR ATTENTION AND I GAVE IT TO THEM.

Answer by older at 2:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009