Making a t-shirt quilt?

My Dh has a bunch of t-shirts that are too raggedy to wear, but have sentimental value. I would love to make a quilt of them for him... it will be the first thing I've ever sewn so I'm hoping for some good pointers to make it work... I know that the t-shirt material is not the easiest to work with since the edges roll - what can be done to prevent that? Any beginning quilting advice is also very appreciated! I want this to be his father's day gift, and I dont' even know how to thread my sewing machine. LOL

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 1:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Rather than just pinning the fabric, you can fuse it to another fabric. I bought a fusible at walmart for very lttle money and you iron it onto the back of the tshirt fabric, being very careful not to stretch it. Then you iron that onto another fabric like a muslin, which is very inexpensive and is often used for quilts. Just follow the instructions.

I used it for a couple of shirts I had that I made a small lap sized quilt from and it worked great.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 4:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am really into makeing quilts, try pinning the edges fist, or pinning some sort of stronger fabric underneath the shirt to make it stronger. Im sure either way he will love it cause it came from u hun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Thanks, those ideas both sound very helpful! I think I will try the fusible material, it sounds easier for my skill level.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2009