Do any moms have high strung children advice on mood swings in stores? spank or ignore??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Health

• take them to the bathroom and spank them, seriously its not abuse unless youre leaving brusies and welts and doing it with objects.
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i give my daughter two warnings in the store. if she won't stop whatever it is she is doing. we leave. i will wait until DH gets home or til i can find someone to watch her that way i can go back and finish my shopping. if its nothing major i ignore it, but if shes screaming, throwing herself around or anything like that then nope we're gone
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• What sets them off? I saw a mom yelling at her daughter and her daughter was bawling and screaming. Her daughter was trying to pull a shirt out of her moms hands. Finally a lady, Grandma?? stepped in and said "What is the matter honey?" The little girl replied, "I want the blue shirt not the red one." Her mom just looked at her like OMG. But you know the mom never bothered to talk to the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER LITERALLY MELTS IF WE DO NOT GET HER WHAT SHE WANTS,LOL THANKS! WE WILL SHOP ONLINE I GUESS OR THRIFT SHOPS WHERE NO ONE CARES!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my kids know I cannot spank them in public and they use it too their full advantage!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Please don't ignore. We, without children, HATE to see and HEAR misbehaved children. Please discipline your little animals, so we can shop in peace. UGH....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i'm not saying don't discipline your child, but there are times when if you do acknowledge a temper tantrum than they just get worse. so we are actually sparing the people that want to complain about "little animals" the full extent of a tantrum.
    if its a tantrum over not being able to have a toy we leave. i would try to find a sitter or explain before going into the store that they are not getting anything that way they know. and try to stay away from areas that will trigger it (like the toy section of walmart etc)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Don't ignor it or avoid shoping. She is old enough to behave. My 5 year old is very high strung. Make sure that you give her what you expect and teh consciquences. "we are going to the store. IF you behave and follow my directions while we are shopping, you may get one treat at the end of the trip. By behave I mean, keep one hand on the cart, no whining, and do not touch anything." Choose what the consiquences will be and make it clear to her. My son understands that if he throws a fit in the store, he will recive a spanking, there will be no treat, and he can forget about anything fun the rest of the day because we will be home sitting in time out till dinner (to clarify, we only go shopping after naps.. so that would be after 3pm... dinner is at six. Luckly, he really looks forward to a cookie from the bakery, and that is enough to keep him in line.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My almost 2 year old had a fit today in the store too. He did not want to sit in the cart and kept climbing in the back, crying away. I had to shop so I tried to find ways to distract him. I let him know we were not leaving and eventually he calmed down. But it gets annoying to be "that mom". I either get the stink eye or sympathetic looks when he acts up.

Anon @ :57, what are you doing on this site if you have no children? If you are TTC, I highly doubt you would refer to children as little animals or hold them in such disdain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am a Behavioral Therapist with a Bachelors Degree in Human Services. We use a term called extinction which means to ignore a tantrum when verbal warnings have been verbalized. On the other hand a pop on the bottom will not hurt,but make sure the child has had lunch(food;drink),a nap; and take his/her favorite toy. Try a 24 hour babysitter and see how much they will charge for a couple of hours.
    delisa374

Answer by delisa374 at 4:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009