when should I start taking my son to the dentist?

I brush and wipe his teeth everyday. He has 12 teeth right now and he is one should I take him now?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 2:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well its recommended to start as soon as the first tooth appears not so much for the cleaning but to get them familiar with the dentist and won't be afraid when they are older, then once a year after that until they tell you every 6 months, that is what I did with my son (6 yr ) and he has never cried doesn't have a problem going every 6 months for cleaning.
    mommyttc

Answer by mommyttc at 2:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I say play it safe and take him now so that he gets used to the atmosphere. My son had a bad gag reflex and no dentist wants to work with him because his plan doesn't cover twilight sleep or any anesthesia.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It depends on the dentist. My son goes to a pediatric dentist and he went at 3 yrs old. My son also has a bad gag reflex and the dentist's here have no problem seeing him. I have heard anywhere from 18 months to 3 years old. I highly recommend a pediatric dentist, they are more patient with kids and only see kids.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I started around 2 1/2 with my kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009