Strange labor; twins?

I woman that I know, was told that she was carrying twins in the '70's. Before she gave birth, she was given a shot to put her to sleep. When she woke up she was told that she had delivered a baby boy. Why would she be given a shot to put her sleep? How could she give birth naturally, while being asleep? The doctor had told her she was carrying twins? When a document (birth certificate?), came in the mail, it was not her signature on it. She doesn't know the answer to any of these questions either, & she tries not to think about it.

Rainbow602

Asked by Rainbow602 at 2:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• wow thats scarey!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Doesn't surprise me.... but guessing how many babies based on the outside is really hard pre u/s. It can happen but could easily be wrong.

There was a thing called *twilight sleep*. The women was drugged, still felt pain/delivered but couldn 't remember any of it. Usually these women where in strait jacket type things and strapped down for delivery. It could have been something similar to that.

It is very scary. All the more reason to not birth in a hospital. They still switch babies, there was a case the other day. How awful huh?!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I remember seeing a movie on lifetime about a woman who was gassed as she was giving birth and it knocked her out, and she ended up having twins, but the one twin had down syndrome or something to that effect and the dr. (also the womans husband) gave the baby to a nurse to take to an orphanage (but she ended up keeping the baby), and he told his wife that the baby had died. maybe it's something like that situation, even though I know it's only a movie.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 8:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009