what does it mean?

when I went in for an ultrasound to check the size of my cervix they said that it was funneling, what does that mean?

Breezy1988

Asked by Breezy1988 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure it means early dialation. They might put you on bed rest depending on how far you are
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I honestly have no idea. You might try googling it. Also, don't be afraid to ask your doctor/med staff to break things down for you. They should be explaining this type of thing to you. I don't do doc's that act too busy to break it down.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I know I should've asked but the ultrasound technician is a witch with a capital B she always has a way of making me feel stupid, i got excited over something and said "wow thats insane" and she gave me a dirty look and asked "how is that insane" with the snottiest tone Grr....
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• incompetent cervix is what I'm told. Did they warn you of anything?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• funneling cervix *could* be a sign of an incompetent cervix. It's only diagnosed via u/s but could be misdiagnosed. If they didn't say anything it may not be an issue. An incompetent cervix also isn't always an issue. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• well im already on bed rest, and about a week ago i was having contractions but I didnt know it, (the machine picked it up) i was assuming that it meant that my cervix was opening and closing lol I dont even know if thats how it works but yeah
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No honey, YOU pay her wage. I don't know if youre on insurance/cash/medicaid but she is there to serve you. I would suggest calling your clinic first thing in the morning. Tell them you want to fully understand your diagnosis and exactly what it means. A doctor or nurse will call you back and you don't let them off the phone until they have answered every detail! A good nurse would want to do this for you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009