So how is this for the ending paragraph in my child support "declaration"

What saddens me the most is that "Blankety Blank" is willing to drive 60 miles to contest a child support order, but he can't stop by to take our son for ice cream or to go play catch. I am confident that he is paying a guard to cover his shift today and still making a profit. While I had to ask for the dayoff without pay for my 3 hour a day job and my son and 400 students that I watch during recess are wondering where I am. Do you think that will touch a judges heart?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 3:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Judges don't have hearts. They have facts, guidelines and laws. Trying to play on his/her sympathies will get you no where.

Think like(and excuse the Star Trek reference) a Vulcan. Remove all emotions and stick to the facts. "Durning these proceedings evidence has been presented that clearly proves that X is capabable of paying the request child support obligation. That meeting said obligation would cause no hardship to X's lifestyle." kinda thing.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Why would you go after child suport?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Because I have to? I'm not sure what you mean anon.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish with it.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• "Oh, boohoo, poor me"

"So you want me to give a court order for "Blankety" to take his son for ice cream?"

"What do other students on recess have to do with the case before me?"

"He has a job which allows him to find a substitute and yours doesn't. I cannot control what you do for a living. You wanted to come to my courtroom, you knew that would involve taking time off work."

Having a relative who just went through this in court, I promise you the judge will be thinking one of the above things, or close to them. YOU shouldn't be writing it up anyway! Your lawyer should be doing it. If you don't have a lawyer, I strongly suggest that if you want to get anywhere you at least check into legal aid. That paragraph isn't going to get you anywhere and if that's your closing...I hesitate to know how the rest of it reads.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with the PP....the judge will not be impressed with your paragraph.
    You need to stick to the facts that can be proven, not emotions or beliefs.
    Coverage for his job is inconsequential so delete that.
    Making time to appear before court but not for his son is also inconsequential.
    The judge will see right through it all and will only see you as vindictive and whining.
    Try stating something to the fact of how often he has visited his son and how those visits affect him. Then make a statement urging the judge to create a visitation schedule that will benefit his son so that he will not feel let down wondering when his father will show up.
    It will show that you are willing to work with the father of your son and will do whatever it takes to make your son happy. You have the best interest of your son at heart - that is what you need to appeal to the judge.
    Best wishes to you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It will actually make you look worse. Judges want only facts. You can maybe point out how much money he is spending to contest it as compared to how much he would pay in child support, but what you wrote will make it look like you are just mad and being petty. All emotion, all opinion (which, unless you have concrete proof of that he is paying someone to work for him and making a profit, is exactly what that paragraph is), has to stay out of it. Present facts. Present things that you can easily prove. Leave out anything regarding your son, except that the ex needs to pay X amount in child support for son. I've been there before, as have these other ladies, and trust me, we all know how hard it is not to want to tell the judge, "But he's a jerk! Punish him!" But you can't do that. It only helps him, and hurts you. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OMG! I didn't think I would get so many mean answers seeing as it was late., I guess I should have posted (impossible to do) the 3 pages of the facts and all of the evidence I have. copies of checks. Damn, now I know I will only share the personal details with the family. Wow, you can all be bitches. Thanks for your support.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I looked up your question when you said someone insulted your child. I just went through court for child support and visitation. Our first hearing I didn't have an attorney and they second one I did. Anon is an idiot-even if you have an attorney you still have to write your own declaration and your declaration should outline why you want what you do. Judges mostly do like to stick to the facts, I would use that paragraphy if you had evidence he was doing that. If not, then you can leave it up and bring it up in court. I would just end it with you think you deserve blah blah blah because you need help with sports, after school activities, clothes, etc
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2009