How is it some women spend 9 months being pregnant and not learn a thing about their baby or their pregnancy??

I recently had my baby and was required to attend a discharge class at the hospital. There were about 17 other women there. Most of them asked the nurses very common sense questions or questions they should have already learned the answer to. For example one girl asked what a circumcision was... and she had a baby boy who was circumsized!! Several asked if formula or breastfeeding was healthier for the baby. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are asking these questions and open to learning. But how can one spend nine months pregnant and not think to learn this stuff before they had the baby?? It is not hard to read a pregnancy book, or search online, or read the material that is given at the OB check ups.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I thought the discharge class was hilarious.... since they talked about your discharge, ya know.... Anyways I didn't want to go since they wouldn't allow me to take my baby. I was stalling for a while waiting for my husband to hurry to the hospital so he could stay with baby. Mamachamp I thought the same thing. I wanted to leave so bad and everything they said was so basic and I already learned during my 1st pregnancy and relearned during the 2nd. I don't understand why anyone would go into motherhood unprepared and under-educated. I think the smartest thing some one can do is admit they don't know everything and learn. I hate using ignorace as an excuse. You know, the "Well I didn't know" excuse. That one is not for me.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes I was surprised by these questions in my discharge class too. Someone asked about giving their baby juice...thats the only one I remember but I remember thinking.."can I go now, i know all of this", lol!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have never heard of a discharge class lol. Sounds kinda crazy that they requre a mom to go to it. I agree, they should be getting informed at least at OB visits.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• you dont know someone's situation. maybe someone didn't have 15 bucks to spare to byt he what the expect book. dn't have reliable family to talk to. at least they are trying to find out now. how many OB appts have been spent talking? they check the heart beat and answer questions about pregnancy and push. everything else forour pediatrician to answer honestly. i know that if i had 15 bucks in my pocket only and it was...buy a pack of diapers to stock up for the birth or a pack of onesies or a book i'm choosing the onesies lol another reason someone may not know is lack of good prenatal care. also maybe someone has a big gap and really doesnt remember when to do certain things. my mom had my brother when i was 11 and forgot alot of things. try to look at things from the outside looking in. you never know why someone maybe ill-informed
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• im glad i didn't have to go to any of them lol
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's odd when your the only one there (well that only happened with my cpr class) but it was hallirious (and since I had already had cpr training it went really quickly because there wasn't alot of new stuff that I had to be taught or "redo")
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• discharge class? I have had 5 babies at 3 different hospitals and never even heard of it, lol...

it's good the young moms are asking the questions though... although the young lady with the baby boy that had the cirq should have asked questions before she agreed to cirq him...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009