Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 3yrs and 4months boy delay speech .he speaks just few words as papa,mama ,bhaya and some single letters so should i do ?his hearing is alright. .pl reply me soon.

now he is going to play school , there he can not make friends because he can not express him self otherwise he understood every thing that we ask ,he replays by pointing it with his hand and bubbles every time like childdish language.he is very active . when ever he needs anything he just pulling my hand by calling mama and pointed out by his finger .and screamming all the time .His prediatric says it is because of pervasive devlopmental disorder(PDD).
i want to know is thereany one of this category give me the right suggestion
Another broblem is he cannot ride tricycle .
at the time of birth he was 2.4kg
he was normal delivery
and the milestones are also in appropriate age
but he started walking a little bit delay at 1yr and 6months of age
now he is potty trained and susu trained
he can eat by himself but cannot eat properly by spoon
but he is trying .
and try to copy every thing from us.
pl reply me soon.

Answer Question

Asked by chitra1980 at 3:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Have you read up on this disorder? It would be wise for you to do so. Here is a simple start but there is lots of information out there on it and similar/related disorders. there are also many groups on Cafemom with mothers who have children with these disorders.


    Answer by MamaChamp at 4:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Well I'm just wondering and Im not trying to be mean, but do you talk to him like you just typed on this post? If so, that could be the problem. I suggest that if thats the case perhaps you and him should see someone who can help you both.

    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • Your pediatrician should not be diagnosing anything. He should be seen by a specialist. Has he not been evaluated yet? He should be evaluated and therapy should be started! He's now too old for Early Intervention, so you'll need to call your school district's special education department. They will do evaluations for free, start therapies and make recommendations if they feel he should be seen elsewhere!

    Ask your pediatrician about seeing a developmental pediatrician as well. THEY are the one's who diagnose developmental delays. If it is PDD (autism spectrum) then he should have already been evaluated and started therapies. Getting help early is the key! Do not hesitate! Make the calls and get him some help. From what you've written, it sounds like severe speech delay, fine motor skill delays and gross motor skill delays.

    Now, on the other son has all those delays and he has low motor tone, not autism.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • There are many things it could be, not limited to PDD. I have one son who is highly suspected to be PDD-NOS and he spoke early, has a very large vocabulary. I know other kids on the spectrum who have no speaking problems but have other delays.

    I think your pediatrician has dropped the ball, allowing his delays to go this long untreated or evaluated.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • My 3 year old son is also delayed with speech. At one year old i had a feeling that something just wasnt right, so i asked my doctor and he said he was fine. I further went online and found information about early intervention programs. I inquired and he was in need of speech therapy and occupational therapy. He has been diagnosed with mild autism spectrum. I had his hearing done as well, and he was fine. Early intervention programs are free, and once you get the service, you qualify for services that will only benefit him. My son is delayed in potty training , so most preschools don't want to accept him, but i can send him to schools that early intervention had found so he can live a normal toddler life. He goes a couple hours 2 times a week, and i just started therapy at our local allied services. Good luck, any questions please let me know, this is all new to me too.

    Answer by joeysmom911 at 7:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • i am assuming english was your second language? if that is the case, it is typical, especially for boys, to speak later. but i would have him evaluated. what state are you in? in most states, after age 3, the school district is responsible to cover the costs and provide a developmental preschool for him. the one we have in north idaho is AMAZING.

    Answer by trepsica at 12:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • I would suggest finding a new doctor because your doctor should have NEVER let your 3yr go this long with that little speech. I then would get intouch the the school districted that he would go to and talk to them. You need to start getting him help NOW. The longer you let it go the harder it can be for him to catch up.

    Answer by Drakesmommy05 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • You need to find a speech therapist and a physical therapist for him. You may be able to do a search online and find things to try (games to play, activities to do with him) if you can't find or afford help on your own. I see you are in India and I have no idea if there is any help available.

    For speech, I've seen a CD called Speechercize that has silly exercises to help with saying the different sounds. It may help. But a speech therapist would help the most.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • my daughter was like this at 3 and I took her to many different specialists and they finally came up with autism. It is very hard when our kids have difficulties in learning and development areas. If you have insurence contact a child phycoligist and ask for an evaluation, the school district can do it as well. Just call your district office and ask to get an evaluation fromt he district speech therapist. Also never baby talk or give into the grunting demands. Insist on talking and tell him what to say and insist he repeat it and you will not listen . Talk to them clearly and make eye contact.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

  • also have them check his tonsils and adenoids. my son is 4 and is just catching back up becuase his passages were blocked from birth with 50%blockage and it made a big diference when they were removed. and make sure you are talking to him using baby-talk. i'd ask for a second opinion from your peds as wel. where are you located at?

    Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.