Anyone have thyroid problems?

I was wondering what the symptoms are when your thyroid is out of whack? My mom keeps telling me to get mine checked out. She had her removed and had polyps on them. It would make her heart race and she felt really weird all the time-tired! I feel the same way but im only 26yo- she was in her 50's when it happened.

Wow2boyz

Asked by Wow2boyz at 4:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Health

• A blood test may not always tell you, 3 years before they found my thyroid cancer I was having classic hypothyroid symptoms which are dry, itchy skin, fatigue, losing my hair, depression, etc. The doctor put me on anti depressants. About.com has a very thorough thyroid section that goes into all kinds of different thyroid diseases. If you go to about.com click on health then thyroid, if you cant find it or want to talk you can PM me. I havent been hyperthyroid so I am not 100% sure on those symptoms but they are mostly the opposite of hypo. It doesnt matter how old you are either although I believe thyroid problems tend to happen when women are older, they do tend to run in families. My sister and mother both had to have theirs removed as well.
    Irelyn

Answer by Irelyn at 8:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Go get a blood test. You can get thyroid disease at your age. My mom had hers removed because is was underactive. Did she have graves disease? or she had it removed because of polyps? I know that with a messed up thyroid you can lose eyelashes, eyes bulging out, gain weight or lose too much weight, racing heart, and act a little loopy. So its best to be safe and get checked
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 5:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my SIL does...it turned out to be cancerous and they had it removed but she is still haveing problems....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have since I got pregnant with my first kid. I have been on synthroid since I was 21.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I've been on Thyroid medication since I was 12 yrs old...you are not too young to have it.
    MsGoddess2U

Answer by MsGoddess2U at 10:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2009