• In the Spotlight:

In between doctors right now..need butt rash for 15month old help

He has had this rash for over a week now. No new foods or liquids, I've been doing desitin as well and he still has it. Now the tip of his penis looks a little red (rash too?) What can I do to help him...is this just a butt rash or what else could this be? Like I mentioned, we are in between doctors so can't take him right this day....and he's 15months old.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure , I dont have a boy. But I know changing his diaper OFTEN will help and using Boudreux (sp?) Butt paste with some powder really helps. Its a little more money, but it works good.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 5:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Is that the same as Destin? I've been using that like doctor said to do previously for a rash...
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• yeah it is a diaper rash cream, but there is something in it that makes it work better in my opinion. You can find it at most stores too. Add powder too, is he having alot of wet diapers or runny poop? I know runny poop alot of times irritates it. But I wish I could help you more, usually this works for rashes but it sounds like it hasn't worked for you so far. Oh also a warm/hot bath to soak in should help.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 6:03 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Try a few other rash creams if they don't work attept udder ointment. If all else fails or it is cracking and bleeding it could be an infection good luck I'm sorry! Oh yeah there is also this powder called happy buttoms it will help keep him dry. Works great ask the pharmisist were to find some.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Oh yeah there is also oatmeal baths and a tblspn of plain oatmeal to his baths.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• does the rash look like it has shiny spots when it is clean and dry? If so it may be a yeast infection which my son had a few times. His penis tip was red and raw looking also. I thought I was doing something wrong when the creams were not making it better. Get some Lotrimin AF for jock itch. give him a good bath and air dry the area really well. then put a thin layer on after each diaper change. and try to use just warm wash cloth to clean off the bum. no wipes. If it is yeast infection it should look better overnight. If not, the cream won't hurt any or make it worse. Good luck.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• TRY USING MAALOX IN THE RASH CREAM ALONG WITH BROWN FLOUR. USE VINEGAR IN THE BATH WATER AS WELL AS IT WILL TAKE AWAY THE REDNESS. YOU CAN ALSO TRY USING VAGISIL. I KNOW ITS FOR YEAST INFECTIONS BUT THE CREAM IS GREAT FOR BAD RASHES. KEEP THE AREA DRY AND CLEAN AND IF ALL POSSIBLE PUT NOTHING ON SO THE AIR CAN GET TO IT.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Try Baby Butt Paste. When my son was on antibiotics twice back to back he got this horrible rash all over his butt. My doctor recommended it to me as a last step before getting a scrip. It works great!
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I give my little girl an oatmeal bath (i buy the off brand from rite aid), make sure she gets really dry, slather her with baby oil, put vaseline on top.... make sure you let him air dry as much as possible and dont use any wipes, if you need to, use warm moist paper towls.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Desitin is made from petroleum, and many kids have a bad reaction. Oatmeal baths are great: put about 1/2 cup of plain oatmeal in an old stocking, knot it and throw it in the tub with warm water.

After the bath, let him be naked for a while, until everything is really dry. Then cover him with olive oil and diaper and dress as usual.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009