at what age is it normal to burp them selves.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son would always burp himself after nursing.
    I have heard, and seen it to be true that nursing doesnt allow as much (if any) air to go to the stomach, therefore causing babies not to burp, because they wont have the need.
    Formula fed/bottle fed babies have a harder time because of the sucking motion and also sometimes mothers let them continue to suck on the bottle after it is empty, which therefore causes air to get into the stomach. I would suggest, if you are formula feeding, to get the bottles where there are bag inserts because these do not allow for air to get in.

Hope this helps!!
    Rose87

Answer by Rose87 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I stoped about 8months

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter did from day 1. We would try for 20 to 30 minutes with no luck and then as soon as we laid her down she would burp herself. Usually once they get head support and start sitting they can burp themselves most of the time and around 6 to 8 months should be able to do it all the time but still try just in case.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• around 7 months. but there were times with my daughter that i had to help her .
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Rose87 is right. My daughter is 3 months and I pump and feed quite often. When I give her a bottle rather than physically nursing her, she gets a lot more air. If I use the bags that you freeze milk in in the bottles, it cuts it WAY down.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Usually when they can sit up on their own they tend to burp automatically on their own
    practicingislam

Answer by practicingislam at 1:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• it was around six months with both of mine, as soon as they could sit up well, the burpies just came out on their own
    Jessica2486

Answer by Jessica2486 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009