No poop...Plz help

My daughter has not pooped in 24 hours. she is a newborn. 2 weeks old. she drinks about 2 oz every 3-4 hrs. But she is just peeing. Should i take her to the hospital? is this ok? plz help, i am first time mom, and i hope she is ok!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, call them first to see what they say. You can call labor and delivery or your pediatrician as they usually have a nurse on call who will contact the doctor. Try gentle massage and lay your baby flat and move her legs up into her stomach to see if you can get her to poop. Some babies don't poop daily but at that age they should poop once a day. So call the hospital or your pediatrician. They will recommend what is best for the baby or tell you to get a suppository or laxative for the baby.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sometimes putting the baby in warm water will help as well. My son was a bit older, but he went 12 days without a bm.. I was freaking out, but they told me apple juice (don't do that unless your doctor suggests it...) would help. What helped most when he was a newborn was moving his legs, and putting my hand on his stomach.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's just fine. A baby doesn't need to poop everyday.
    If she is getting formula then she can go 2-3 days without pooping and it's not a problem
    If she is getting expressed breastmilk she can go a week without problems (actually she can go 2 weeks... but I wouldn't let her)
    If at the end of those time frames she still hasn't gone try 1/2 oz of pear juice to see if it helps get things going.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my dd didn't poop every day either. Sometimes its the formula, and they are a little constipated, wait a few more hours, if she doesn't have one in 48 hours or seems extra cranky, like it's bothering her, call your doctor. Otherwise if she does, check to see what it looks like, if it's hard looking, she's constipated, and your going to want to talk to your doctor about helping her with it. If it's normal looking, then that's just your babies way of going poop, and don't worry, she's fine :). If she stops peeing regularly and you notice she still hasn't pooped, she'd dehydrated, take her to the ER.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• is she formula fed or breast fed? it is completely normal for a breastfed baby to only poop once a week.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:13 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Dont worry!! My baby did the same exact thing. I dont know if you breastfeed or formula feed but I breastfeed and my baby has always took three sometimes even four days to poop but when she does is huge. I was worried also but my doctor told me it was normal. My baby is three months now and she poops about every three days. Its fine dont worry
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 2:06 PM on Apr. 18, 2009