What are some "HEALTHY" High calorie foods

That I could feed my daughter( age 3) who is underweight for her height? She is a beanpole currently, stick thin. She eats like crazy, but we have no idea where it is going. Because it isn't sticking! This was told to me by WIC, but the doctor also told me if she doesn't gain a bit of weight soon, we will have to try certain things. Any ideas'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• avacado, full fat cheese and other dairy. definitely use whole milk. nut spreads if she is not allergic.i would also purchase some coconut oil put it in her food or cook with it. it is incredibly good for you. also, i give my 2 year old ground flax (i mix it in her oatmeal or smoothies and you can't taste it at all) and also flax oil. it is an excellent form of fat for the brain and eyes.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• real cheese and real butter, pasta, peanutbutter, whole wheat, potato bread (delicious stuff!), banannas, nuts, olive oil, white meat, and fish.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• beans (best if not canned- cook dry beans) cheese, yogurt, wheat bread, nuts and all the above
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Ok, We already do the cheese, yo-baby organic yogurt ( she hates all the others stuff), she does wheat bread, We are afraid to try fish, because of a bad experince I had when I was kid. My baby sister ( she was 3), had a severe reaction to fish, it runs on my side of the family ( but I seemed immune) I could try some beans with her. I just got to eat them with her. Hmmmm..

Thank you so far for the help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My kid is skinny too. I give him those instant breakfast packets with whole milk. I call them milk shakes. The box is about $5, but they area good for him.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• wic told me the same thing with my 4 yr old and they even told me to get him drinking whole milk..which he won't
    So he gets mcdonalds twice a week and I make him mashed potatoes with butter and 2% milk mix in some cooked frozen veggies and he's happy. also alot of pasta type dinners, like spagetti,goulash,lasanga,hamburger helper, and I make oatmeal cookies with real butter and peanut butter. mine won't eat this but wic told me to get instant pudding and mix it with whole milk.
    I have to say it's a head scratcher when the people at wic tell me to feed him whatever he wants and as much mcdonalds chicken nuggets as he pleases and tell me to buy whole milk with the vouchers!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:03 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• If you can sneak whole milk into your daughter's diet, you will see weight gain. I had to put it in my son's food. I put it in mashed potatoes, oatmeal, pudding, soups, cereal, etc. Also, I used real butter when recipes called for it. If you make homemade soup or stew, some recipes call for cream. I even offered morning snack and an afternoon snack. You might consider having her tested for allergies. If a person is allergic to gluten and have Celiac, their body is unable to absorb the nutrients that are found in wheat and oatmeal. We had our son tested for Celiac Disease and diabetes. A blood count was done to rule out cancer. All of his tests came back negative. We decided that it was genetic.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009