In Texas, does the father have to sign the birth certificate before the mother gives the child the fathers last name?

In Texas, does the father have to sign the birth certificate before the mother is allowed to give the child the fathers last name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• No, you can give your child any name you want and any last name. He wont be named as the father or recognized as the father until he signs it. My husband and I have different last names and our daughter got my last name and not his and he signed her birth certificate.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My son was born in Texas (Fort Hood) and my husband had to sign the birth certificate. I remember it clearly because he had surgery the day we were released from the hospital and it was kind of a crappy situation because he HAD to sign the birth certificate...
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 8:40 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• go to www.womenslaw.org and link on KNOW THE LAW and see if they tell you or go to the free legal site www.avvo.com (that's 2 v's not a w) and ask a lawyer. You could always call the Human Resources person at the hospital or the Health Dept Vital Statistics office and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• nope they dont. i was born and raised in texas. my father never signed the birth certificate. when my baby sister had my nieces the daddies didnt have to sign either.

Here in las vegas the dads dont have to sign. i just had my daughter. i had to be the one to get everything.
    Anonymous