How to deal with new born and clingy non potty trained 2 yr old?

I am going to be a stay at home mom in a week. We are having our son in about 3 months and my two yr old is still very clingy to me , she wants me to carry her everywhere , HUGE fits in public , and has no desire to potty train , so until then day care couple times a week is out of question. I try so hard to work with her and develop her but she has no desire and our want to become a little more cooperative. I am so scared to as how its going to be with a newborn and her. I love her to pieces and she is my life! I could really use some tips ladies so my husband doesnt come home this august to find that I have shaved my head!!!

poogies2006

Asked by poogies2006 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you can take her to daycare if she is not potty trained. They will actually help you work with her to do it. If she is just 2 she may not be ready and most daycares don't require they are potty trained until 3 before they go into the 4-5 year old room so she can go if you need a break. Don't carry her, make her walk and if she acts up then deal with the issue, don't bribe her with toys or candy as this will only encourage her to act up to get a treat. You have to make her be cooperative. Give her a task like cleaning up toys and if she throws a fit then put her in her room or in a safe place until she is done. Give her love and discipline and find a punishment that works like taking away a toy or putting her in her room.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with the no potty trained 2 yr old. I had my second DD when my first DD was 20 months old. i tried to potty train my first at 2 yrs BUT with a three month old needing my every single minute i just couldn't do it. I tried again when the baby was 6 months and no longer needed my undivided attention. That way I could put her with her toys and run with my 2 yr old to the potty. It took VERY little time to potty train her. The first week was a little rough but it was not time at all where she had no accidents during the day. I don't believe in night training until they are ready. They can figure that out for themselves eventually without mom pulling her hair out. The clinginess on the other hand could be because you are the only one she has to cling to. Plus she still is pretty much a baby and dependent on her mom. Best advice I have is involve her in everything and praise her when she's good.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 8:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I had my babies 21 months apart, my first was my everything up until t hen, we included her in everything, she even went to the ultrasound with me. She was the first one other then my husband and I to hold her new sister and she helped me by getting diapers and wipes for me. I have an emergency c-section with baby #2 and could not pick up #1 so she would pull me to the couch and say she needed to cuddle me. It worked, I think you just have to include her in everything that you can and make a big deal out of her being the big sister, start now and say things like, "once the baby comes mommy can't carry you around so lets try walking for me ok?" this worked for my dd. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• all i can say is good luck because my daughter is the same way and i am expecting in 3 wks
    MrsSpecialistB

Answer by MrsSpecialistB at 2:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2009