is the cry it out method ok to do how soes it work

I am going to try this method with my son, but I'm really scared and I'm unsure of how it works or if it will ?

tiredmommy220

Asked by tiredmommy220 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HOw old is your son? You go 5 minutes to start off with. After 5 minutes go in tell him its okay pat his butt or lay him back down and leave the room. Then you go 10 to 15 minutes and if he doesn't stop walk in say nothing and lay him back down. You do this until he stops. It can take an hour or so the first time you do it and the time will get shorter each day you do this to the point that he will hardly cry and just go to sleep. It took us 3 days to get our daughter to cry it out now she talks it out for maybe 10 minutes.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't like it for young babies. Maybe 18 mos or so is ok (IMO). I don't really know how to do it though. Sorry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Research a method that you think will work for you and your baby... there is more than one type of CIO method.
    We did CIO with my son when he was waking 6-8 times at night.
    The method we used was to check on him every 10 minutes never letting him cry more than 30 minutes (he almost always fell asleep by then anyway)
    You also have to know your babys cry... there is a tired cry that you can allow your baby to cry, but there is also a panic cry and you want to go to your baby for that one... you don't want bed time to be a stressful time.
    CIO is VERY hard to do. It's awful to hear your baby cry but you have to stick with it to make it work.
    My son now gets up about 1 times/night. It took 2 weeks to get to this point... every night was better than the last though for the most part.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We did it with mine at about 6 mnths give or take. My hubby had to kick me out for a walk or errands the first few times we did it with or first., but it doesn't hurt and will be ok. My friend did it with hers at 3 mnths as well and there was no harm done. Just make sure the baby has every thing they need done first then let them cry.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I tried yesterday for the first time. My baby is 5 months old. She wants to sleep in the bed with mommy now at night. ( Im guessing thats why shes been fussy at night) Well I took about 5 mins of her crying and went and got her. I couldnt handle hearing her cry:( Good luck to you!
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 9:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• 18 months is not a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My son usually sleeps right through but when he does wake up, we let him CIO. The first time it took 8 minutes for him to pass out. Second time 5 minutes. And now it's always less than 5 @ 7 months old. I let my husband do i the first 2 times as I knew I would go get him, but now it's easy! As long as they're not crying for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time it should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sunshine21... Good good. Your going with your motherly instincts.. Babies were ment to cry because they crying is suposed to bother you so you do something to stop it. I don't believe in letting your baby cry. They are usually crying for a reason and if not they just want to be loved on. I want to burn all the baby wise books and restore then with the baby book by dr. williams sears.. He believe in attached parenting whitch in the long run helps your baby become a better toddler and child. By comforting your baby and doing everything that comes natural. If you force yourself to let your baby cry and the whole time you can't stand it.. HELLO its not right to you.. and sleeping with your baby is totally fine. Where the only country that doesn't sleep with our babies... Weird where the only country that seems like we have selfish mothers
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's not okay for me. I've never done it. It teaches baby to stop crying because mom doesn't care enough to respond.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter's a month old and I my husband told me just to let her cry sometimes to soothe herself. Screw that! I couldn't handle her crying and babies cry for a reason. I'm not gonna knock you for trying it, I hope it works out for you.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009