Do you think the Bible is a story book? Why? Why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible is God's written word, given to us by Prophets, Apostles, Disciples,and Jesus Himself. It is the infallible word of God,and is NOT just a "book of stories." It is SO MUCH MORE! It is the book Christians look to for any answers they could ever possibly have to any questions. It tells us how God created the world,and man and woman, and it tells us how and why Jesus came, lived,as the only perfect person to ever walk to Earth,and how He died to save us from ourselves,and our sins,and it tells us the only way to get to Heaven, and what will happen when Jesus returns,and this earth is over. It gives us comfort when we hurt,hope when we have none, power to fight the enemy,and peace when we need it most. It is still the best-selling book of all time,always will be,and is still the most-read book of all-time, always will be.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OF course it's a storey book. It contains stories. It's also a history book... And contains a great number of parables and myths... The question is where does the history end and myth begin and how much of the myth is historical and therefore fact?? NO one knows. That's why faith is required.

Personally I enjoy study of the bible and the history and myth contained in it. It's facinating. But I am not Christian, and don't feel that Jesus was any more the son of God than Nostradomus... He was a prophet. And I'm sorry that he was killed, but so were TRILLIONS of others...

Religion has little to do with story and fact... And all to do with faith and comfort. The bible is no different than any other myth story unless you choose to believe it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I believe some of it is fictitious & some is not. I believe the bible should not to be taken literally and that we are supposed to learn from the point of the story instead.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• those kids bible books are great.
    just about any bible related childrens books are! the stories teach morals and important lessons. the actual bible itself is a bit heavy worded and serious for little ones though, i think.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:14 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• LOL! i misread your question!!! i thought you asked if it was good to USE as a story book. know what i mean? SORRY! :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• no prob. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Ah.. Well said Sabrina ... Well said...
    My thoughts exactly
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think the Bible is a written account of oral history that blends myth, legend and actual events. Parts of it are factual but I don't think it should be taken literally.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yeah, it's just a story book.

Some parts may be based on historical events (like a huge flood once upon a time, or the Hebrews being slaves of the Egyptians) but I absolutely do not believe that it should be taken literally. It's like Aesop's fables to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I believe its a record of stories that happened its more like an autobioghraphy of different prophets lives!!!
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009