hives

ok so my child has hives all over his body and his doc says its an allergy we haven't changed anything soaps detergent nothing no new foods he doesn;t have a fever but he is very grouchy ( rightfully so ) and restless so my question is has anyone ever seen this b4 and what can I do for the itching PLEASE HELP

aidensmom570

Asked by aidensmom570 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be from the heat or he could be allergic to something outside.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• try calamine lotion, or aloe, or oatmeal (I know they recommend it for chickenpox to help with the itching.) It could still be an allergy even if you can't think of anything you've changed, and remember that allergies can develop in time too.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• How old is he? Could it be a reaction to teething? Look up skin rashes in children and see if you can find anything that looks similar. I learned that my son had had a virus called roseola that way, I found a picture of a rash that looked exactly like what he had, and sure enough the doctor confirmed it...but don't self-diagnose, it just might give you an idea of what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• let him sit in an oatmeal bath & give him benadryl
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would just give him benadryl and relax. Besides the itching and of course discomfort there is nothing to worry about at this time. I used to get Hives really bad, especially on the bottom of my feet when I was stressed out. They eventually go away. Hives are caused by sooo many different things, not just an allergy.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 10:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• calamine and oatmeal baths. i would be concerned that this is a food allergy, and the next reaction could be worse. definitely look into testing.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Give him some Benedryl and look at everything.

My 3 year old had a nasty case of hives when he was 15 months old. It turns out he was allergic to his CAST for his broken leg! We had to keep a sock on it, if we touched his cast, we couldn't touch him. I had to wash EVERYTHING in his bed that had come into even remote contact with the cast.

Just in case, keep watching him for a fever in case it is a virus of some sort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009