Would you still go??? Moms with young teens please help!

My 12 year old is going to Michigan University in Lansing for the FPSPI competition last week of May. The other 3 team mates are driving there with their parents (15+ hours). First she really wanted me to go but my husband wanted her to experience some independentness (a teacher will fly). Now, she is never that attached to me as some of the mothers might have experienced with their daughters. She is rather an independent girl. So 2 days later she said she doesn’t need me to go. Took me another two days and finally decided to go for support and family time yesterday. Tried to book a hotel room near campus but no room is available now. I was told I could be put in a dorm. Thought to give her a nice surprise last Friday night when telling her this, but got a big No instead. Oh, I feel I missed a big chance. I would never be able to get that moment back ..the moment when she needs me...now should I still go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• she's 12 YOU NEED TO GO ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN Even WITH TEACHERS AROUND
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would go, 12 is far too young to travel alone IMO. And do you mean Michigan State University? There isn't a Michigan University in Lansing ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, it is at Michigan STATE University.
    bindao63108

Answer by bindao63108 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would not let my 12-year old go without me. I guess you can give her a choice--either we both go or nobody goes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• If you trust the other parents and teachers that are going, I would let her go. As much as we don't want our kids to go without us, they do need to learn how to get along without us. If we hold our children back, they will miss out on so many opportunities. She is at an age that she is learning to be independent and this is a good opportunity because there will be adults with her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Just be there if she needs you, becuase she most likely wants to show how independant she is.
    but I wouldnt smother her, just be there just incase.

Because if she does need you and your not there it could be a big issue.
    Juhhmell

Answer by Juhhmell at 7:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• When my daughter was in 5th grade, I chaperoned at a weekend-long academic competition. the teachers and some parents stayed up all night to keep an eye on the kids. Talk to parents who have attended this event before, and then make an educated decision on whether or not you should go

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2009