Can you refuse testing durring pregnancy???

I know they do blood work to find out if the baby possibly has certain things wrong with it. Can you reject the blood work? What does it matter if you wouldn't do the amneo anyways and wouldn't want to terminate the pregnancy no matter the results of the blood test??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes I did. Either way I would keep my baby. You can refuse anything you want.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, you can refuse the bloodwork. Its not mandatory, and sometimes can come back with false results.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 9:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Of course you can refuse any test it's you body, and your child.. your health...
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Mys sister was absolutely adamant about NOT having the amnio done, for the same reason. It is not mandatory. I believe she did do the blood tests (since it was non-invasive to the baby) and once was told something might be wrong, but still refused the amnio. She wouldn't terminate no matter what. She refused the amnio because of the risks to the baby. BTW, NOTHING was wrong with the baby....
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Also the blood work is not always right, if the baby is measuring wrong or anything the baby may come back with something that is nothing at all. It happened to my sister with her middle son and they wanted her to abort and he is fine. They said he was highly deformed and profoundly retarded and told her that would be her best bed. So the blood tests are not as accurate as they like to think and I was told by the doctor that it usually causes a lot of undo stress on the mother if it comes back with an abnormality.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, you can refuse a blood test...however...know what you are refusing first before you assume they are just doing tests on your baby.

Blood tests are not only to see if there is a chance that there's something wrong with baby...it's also for you. Your very first appointment blood test determines blood type, Rh status, hCG levels and anemia. Those tests are for YOU. (Rh negative means that there's the chance for problems that can be easily prevented. If your blood does not have the Rh factor and your baby does, your immune system will view that baby as foreign and attack it. 85% of women are Rh negative.) Blood screens also determine antibody titer and immunity to diseases (rubella). Also to determine STD infections and a blood sugar level test to check for tendency for diabetes....continued...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The Triple screen (MSAFP) blood test happens between 15 and 18 weeks. This is the prenatal test that screens for the possibility of fetal defect and the need for more testing.  Yes, blood tests are not always 100% accurate...but, the reason for these tests is to determine if there is a problem.  I admire your desire to not have this test done...however, the doctors do need to know if there's a chance there's a problem with a baby.  They need to know if there's a need to closer monitor you and baby. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• we just always told them that we are not going to terminate no matter what so do what you have to but don't bother with the stuff that's not mandatory.
    mssemmy

Answer by mssemmy at 9:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• With my last one they kept telling me that everything was fine and normal. I kept telling them that I knew something was wrong, that she was going to come early. They dismissed it and she came 8 weeks early thanks to bedrest at the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You can refuse anything you want.

But I would ask them what the options are if something is found in the testing. Tell them that you would never abort, but want to know if there is anything they can do to help correct any of the issues that might surface in the test while you're pregnant.

If they say they cant do anything, then there is no point to having the test if you would continue your pregnancy regardless. If there is something they can do, you might reconsider.

Also, if you were to find anything out, it might at least prepare you for the "what-ifs"

But yes, you can absolutely, 100% refuse it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2009