Question for non-Christians, Christians can answer as well..

If you are say, Pagan, or any other religion besides Christian, would you still read the bible to your child? Or just read them stories related to your religion?

Would you be willing to teach your child about several different religions, so that he or she could choose for themselves what to believe?

Christians, would you teach your children about other faiths so that they could choose for themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Christian , my husband is Baptist. We are going to give her the opportunity to learn other religons and let her choose what's right for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am agnostic and we do not read the bible or have one in our home. If our daughter so chooses to want to believe in it later on that is her choice. We don't do the church thing or read her any stories about religion. She is 7 months old now and I figure if we don't bring it up then she will never really care unless someone she knows believes and then she can make a choice if she wants to learn about it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i'm a christian and i take my daughter to church with me, no, i don't teach her about other faiths & i'm not going to.... i can't teach her about something i don't know about and i'm not going to teach her something i don't believe in... when she gets older & if she wants to explore other religions that will be her choice although i may not agree with it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• If he wants me to read the Bible to him, sure. If he wants to hear stories from my religion, I tell him that too.

Of course I'd like to teach him all I know about other religions. I spent a good deal of time researching religions to see if any fit my beliefs. I'd hope that he would do the same, even if he chooses something different than me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• In my own young adult search I visited many different churches, of different faiths, and read many "books" (bibles?) of theirs as well. That's how I chose what I would follow, and after doing all of that, I was secure enough in it, to know that is how I wanted my children to be raised. Now as adults themselves, the world is open to them to explore. They can go forward and choose what they'd like to believe.

I always thought it odd that people would argue against a religion or group sect without even reading, visiting, or learning what that other one was about. They don't even know what they're arguing about.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Actually I've already started doing some research about which books I want to use to teach my children about religion. I am atheist, and I will admit I haven't really studied any religion in depth, and so I look forward to learning right alongside my children. I have a list of books on Amazon that I want to buy to help me introduce them to the subject. I will teach them about the bible, as well as other holy books. I plan on starting with this book

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Religion-Betsy-Maestro/dp/068817146X/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1F78UBYLLDFEC&colid=MMEVDHSSCMF3

and then going thru each religion in more detail.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We have several Bibles in the house including a child's version which is our gs's.
    No I do not read from the Bible to him. If he has a question about God (Christian version) then we look for the answer together. I am teaching him more of my beliefs (Nature). Also in our search for answers we look at how many different religions/people believe that answer should be.
    This will allow him to follow his own path when the time comes.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• As a Christian, I think it is very important to teach your children about other religions, once they're grounded in Christianity.  I will teach my children exactly what the Bible teaches, and that there is only one way to God.  However, learning about other religions will help them to be even more grounded in their faith, especially when they're on their own.  I will teach them the difference b/t the Truth and lies.

beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My fiance and I are agnostic. We're going to teach our daughter about whatever she asks.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I consider myself an undenominational Christian. I was raised by a Catholic mother, and my dad is Baptist. My best friend is Budhist. I have always been very curious about religion and have asked alot of questions along the way and done alot of reading on a bunch of tstuff. I talk to my kids about God and Jesus, and so does everyone else. I have made sure to tell them when they come home from Grandma's house and tell me that they went to church, that they know that is just one opinion on the world and religion, I ask them how they felt about what they learned and, how much of it they want to take with them to believe. But to answer op yes, my kids have the oportunity to learn whatever they want, and are exposed to a bunch of different beliefs, and I love that they have a curious mind of their own about the subject and can come and ask me any questions they want, and we can find the answer together
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2009