What do you have your BA / BS in? And do you use it in your current field?

Just curious. I have my BS in business marketing and management. I use the marketing I guess since I still do a little sales, but lately I've been doing web design free lance work... Our oldest is looking at colleges and wants ideas in what to major in... Does it matter what you major in as long as you have a degree in something?? My friend has her BA in Elementary Education and used to teach for two years, and now she runs her own state farm insurance branch. So what do you have your degree in? And do you work in your field?

Vanessannd

Asked by Vanessannd at 10:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a BS in nutrition and exercise science(I was a dual major). I'm not working right now. I'm actually back in school for my BS in nursing......the whole nutrition thing didn't really work out. From what I've seen you have to be lucky to make any kind of money doing that.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i have a BA in History and no i do not use it in my field. I 'm a stay at home mom! when i was working i didn't use it either. These days what really matters is that you have one... and soon they will require a MA for most jobs.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a BS in Human Development. I am currently a SAHM.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have my BA in Political Science. But i am a SAHM right now.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i have a bs in psychology and i don't use it formally in my line of work but indirectly becasue i work in customer service probably not for long with babies 6 AND 7 on the way but even then I will use it with my children indirectly
    full_house

Answer by full_house at 11:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a BS in Secondary Education (grades 7-12), major in Mathematics. Currently, 3 years after graduating, I still do not have a teaching job. The market is horrible right now in Michigan, very cut throat. I've been passed up because they decided to hire peoples daughters instead of people subbing in their buildings. Very frustrating, especially when you hear these daughters are getting complaints from parents.

I think I may go back to school for my MBA in something business related. Not sure yet. DH wants to do that too, and he's the bread winner (he has a BA in Graphic Arts) so I'm pushing for him to go back to school more than myself.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• bs in early childhood edcuation, yes i teach/ market is bad, i would not recommend the field, very crowded except for special education and certain high school fields, science i think.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• early childhood education and i work in a child development center at a college
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 2:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have my BA in Linguistics. I work in medical transcription as an editor. I think my degree is handy because there are a lot of ESL docs that dictate. My ears are tuned to hear all sorts of sounds. :)
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 2:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Psychology..working towards PHD currently.

Yes I use it...addictions.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009