Could induction solve my problems?

So I was told I should have a C-Section to prevent vaginal tearing on my first doctors visit. Because they don't know if they fix me I will stay fixed. (They were stage 4 laceration) so I posted other questions on here, and spent all night thinking (and worrying). I was induced with my son on his due date and he was 8 lb 11.4 oz. So would it help if I was induced at 38 weeks instead of 40? And tried and alternated birthing position? I don't know if you can have an induced water birth.
I don't want my baby hurt, I'm just trying to find a solution that can make me and my Dr comfortable, and if it doesn't require major surgery with possible complications I seriously dislike, all the better..

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 10:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't see why it would hurt to bring up to your Dr. about inducing you earlier, so the baby is smaller. Unless you tore because you are extremely small down there. There are also methods that you can do to stretch your area to make it more flexible during birth and lead to no tearing, I know a lot of midwives practice that. I would just google it and find out as much as I can about the alternitives.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 10:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You can do peritoneal massage with vit e oil, it will help loosen the area. What I'm scratching my head about is the doctor pushing for a c-section? That is surgery, with incisions through abdominal muscle, the uterus and the fact it leaves a scar on your belly, hair line cut or not. Leaving you more open to infection and other complications. You have already delivered one baby? Chances are you may not even tear, and if it looks like you might, he can do an episiotomy to minimize ripping.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I had 3rd degree tears from my delivery, because I was pushing way too hard. I had stitches from halfway up my vagina clear up to my bum hole. But even with the tearing and the pain, the stitches (I even managed to rip one open), I wouldn't have a C--section unless you had too. IMO it would just make it harder on you to get up out of bed after the birth, and you don't want to be in that much pain, especially if this is your second, you will need to be up more with your first too.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I feel the same way. My son is 2 and 1/2 and I am a single parent. I don't feel I can afford to be out of commission for however long. But I don't want to hurt my new baby either. I'm stuck between a rock and a c-section.
    ExenoRainbow

Answer by ExenoRainbow at 11:21 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't think you can be induced and have a water birth ... don't you need meds through an IV for induction? Like Pitocin? If so, I don't think a hospital would let you do a water birth ... not sure on that one though.

I would talk to your doctor about it. They can predict the size of the baby at 38 weeks and see if it would be worth it to induce.

As for the csection comments, the recovery depends on the person. I was up and around far sooner than I thought I'd be. Actually, my SIL was surprised how quickly I recovered. She knew women that were in more pain and taking it easy longer with a vaginal birth. It's all dependent on the individual. Yes, it's hard to get around in the hospital, it does hurt to get up with the incision, but you have help.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't think a water birth is necessary. A vaginal tear heals MUCH easier than a c-section, and if you are induced that early you are very likely to end up with one. Also, there are things like perennial massage, water birth, and birthing while squatting rather than laying down that will significantly lower your chances of tearing. Just weigh all the options here and seriously think of all the risks associated with each one. If a vaginal tear is the worst YOU have to face by going into labor on your own, then I think it's worth the risk. Heaven forbid something did go wrong with an induction, I'm not trying to scare you, but realistically, it's VERY possible. If it did go wrong, I know you would rather take a vaginal tear than a baby in NICU or worse. PLEASE don't think I am trying to *scare* you into one thing or another, that's not my point. I just want to be crystal clear so you can really think things over.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 2:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009