Can i breastfeed on 2mg's of Subutex?

I am on medication for opiate abuse (from 2 years ago) I found out i was pregnant while being on the medication. I would love to stop taking it, but i believe in my heart it would be safer to just stay on because i am on such a low dose and it helps with my extreme anxiety issues. I have read and spoken to many doctors but i love to hear opinions and facts. I know its up in the air but i would like to hear what people think. I would in no way EVER harm my baby so if i hear bad things, i will have to give up something.. i have wanted ever since i was old enough to think about children. Please don't judge, i only want real thoughts. I am honest and loving, i expect the same in responce. Thank you everyone!

AjaJade86

Asked by AjaJade86 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what have the drs said???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Honesty, you should ask your doctor if it is even safe to take while pregnant. Most things that you can take while pregnant are safe for breastfeeding, and vice-versa. But when it comes to meds, you need to really talk to your doctor, or at least a pharmacist, because they know more about meds than doctors (IMO).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• whatever to the person above. more medications then you think are safe to take while pregnant. of course I agree to be open with your doctor, but as you said you are, so I guess they wrote that to hear themselves think. its just some people are anti everything, they'lll tell you different,  just like the people who say to wait to have an epidural until your dilated to a certain degree..which is also just some one's person beliefs. ask any anestigioligist. anyways.. I know some ppl that have taken that, not while BF though. Ive read if taken while prego more beneficial to just stay on it for the duration to avoid complications from withdrawal. there are mental health meds you can take as well as actual pain medications that are safe to take while BF. so you'll have to way your own thoughts with the doctor. I think its great you are thinking about BF. sadly it more the some moms even do. I wish you luck, dont listen to the neg
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Listen to your doctor.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009