• In the Spotlight:

Standing holding on?

My 10month old just learned to pull to a standing position but he can't get back down again. And it really freaks him out. He will stand and cry until someone gets him but then he doesn't want to be put back down he wants to be held. I try to show him how to sit down once he is standing but he kicks his legs and throws a temper tantrum. He won't let go of whatever he is holding so there is no 'let him fall' option. He just stand there and cries. Is this just a weird phase? If not, then what can I do to make standing up not so scary? And how can I get him to sit back down without throwing a tantrum? It's getting to be very irritating.

babyboomboom

Asked by babyboomboom at 10:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think all babies go through this to an extent. I think after enough accidental falls, he will learn the hard way.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would try to teach him... my son is 9 months and I was able to teach him to crawl down stairs... so I think you could teach him to let go. I would help him sit down and I think he will catch on.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• LOL my 8 month old does this. He'll pull himself up and get all proud and look around and smile then once he realized he cant do anything from there he starts to fuss. I kinda just go to him and help him sit back down..it's all you really can do. He's now starting to get down on his own. He'll take one arm off and hold it out and squat like he's doing ballet until he just plops on his butt lol. Babies are such great entertainment.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My son is only a few weeks older than yours and went through this phase. He would pull himself up, then wouldn't know how to get down so he would cry. What we did was grab his hands and slowly put him down on his bottom. Eventually he got it and would grab for our hands and then sit. Now he can, from standing, bend down, put his hand on the ground and then sit. In the beginning, it did freak him out but they have to learn how to do it. I think it took about 1-2 weeks for him to get it. Good luck!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• first try putting a toy a few inches out of his reach, so he has to furniture crawl to it, this will help him to learn how to move on the furniture. Once he learns this, his fears will lesson. When you go to remove him from the furniture, do it so that it's like he's getting down on his own, with only your arms to help as support. When he does it, congratulate him.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• give him something to hold on to with both hands like a toy
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• same here my 8 month old son does this too sometimes he is able to just fall but other times just screams it takes time they will learn just build his confidence and show him that he can sit down just fine after standing up.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009