I am really close to my due date and I think I'm having contractions but I don't really know what they feel like and don't know when I should start thinking I'm actually going into labor. Any advice?

LagunaAlkaline

Asked by LagunaAlkaline at 11:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Try walking around. If they are the real thing, they will get stronger and more frequent when walking. They feel sort of like VERY BAD period cramps. If they are the braxton and hicks, with walking they will subside. When all else fails, call the dr. The dr will prolly send you to Labor and Delivery and they will monitor you. If you're ready, you'll stay!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Contractions are painful they feel sort of like ocean waves it starts from youre pelvis and goes up they may last for aminute and then go away.

They are very painful and if you are having regular pain that is five minutes apart then you need to go to the hospital. Some women have even had labor pain only in thier lower back or the tops of thier thighs. Either way if you are experiencing pain that is five minutes apart go to the hospital.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 11:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Get a clock with a second hand and start timing your "contractions" start at the start of one to the start of the next one, see how far apart they are, also see how long they last. If the are evenly spaced and not getting closer and then farther apart, I would say it's time to at least call the hospital if you haven't already, though calling them wouldn't hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• go to Contractionsmaster.com
    :D and everytime you have that "feeling" click the button and when that "feeling" goes away your going to click that button again...and if it lasts like 45 seconds to a minute or just a bit over a minute..thats a contraction..

the site will also tell you how far apart they are... =P

so..that site will REALLY help!

And a contraction i dont think is painful, i just think theyre annoying and uncomfortable
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 11:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• how close is your due date?
    from my exp. I felt cramps, pains pre labor. a few times,my body getting ready or something.

or it could be you are to active and your body is telling you to slow down. if you lie down with your feet up and they go away, that's most likely it.

good luck. my 1st, as well as many of my friends, this baby might make you wait... but it is worth it.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• every person is different, but I disagree with above, contractions, when things are really going... are painful.. but Im prego with my 3rd, so nothing that I wouldnt go through again. to not scare you.
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• (they dont have to be painful) some people handle pain differently...The doctors said i was having horrible contractions and i was like "i am? i felt something but it didnt really hurt" and i was going into preterm labor at the time

so they dont HAVE to be painful lol...
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 11:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'd call your doctor after you time them for about an hour. when I went into labor the contractions weren't painful at all. I had placenta previa and had to have a c-sec & the only reason I went to the hospital was bc my friend was in labor and I went to see her & her doctor made me leave to go to my hospital. By the time I got there I was 9cm, water broke when I walked in and I was in full blown labor (still not as painful as I thought it wouldve been) Better to be safe then deliver in the car lol. my friends mom did that she went after her water broke & the doctors & nurses had to rush her in from the parking lot bc the babies head was crowning
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My contractions were never painful, just uncomfortable, until I got pitocin. So you can be in labor and not be in so much pain. Just relax and let nature do it's thing.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Someone commented that if you get up and walk and the contractions go away, then they are Braxton Hicks. I was under the understanding that if you lie down and they go away then they are just Braxton Hicks.
    Anonymous