Torture Documents Released

They were apparently released because "Obama argued that "withholding these memos would only serve to deny facts that have been in the public domain for some time."

There are other truths that our government still hides from us today that have been leaked. I dont see them releasing the true information on those things anytime soon. Theyre picking and choosing what to reveal, and I believe there was a cynical motive behind the release to these documents. Not because "the people deserved to know". Please- stop with the holier than thou crap.
I feel as if there is more to their true intentions of releasing these documents the day after the tea parties. Was it to shift the negative focus off our current Administration back onto the previous? To make themselves look "better"? Or just because? What say you ladies?

You can read the real documents at docstoc.com by the way.

BEXi

Asked by BEXi at 11:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO, neither party releases information that isn't good for their own agenda. The fact that we currently have the Democratic party in office just keeps my focus on the Democrats in office. I think they are releasing information because it suits their agenda, not for 'the good of the nation'. Maybe this is a way for him to reason his 'America is arrogant' tour, IDK? All I know is that there isn't any more transparency from this administration than we've had from others.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:09 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Oh yeah, and if they had no intentions of prosecuting, then what was the point of releasing the documents? To outrage America? Well they sure did do a good job of the majority of it.

"In releasing the memos in response to a public records request from the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups, the Obama administration informed CIA officials they will not be prosecuted for past waterboarding and other harsh interrogation tactics."
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Torture and Tea parties are two totally different issues!
    The issue to stop torture was Obama's campaign promise # 175

From both a moral standpoint and a practical standpoint, torture is wrong. Barack Obama will end the use torture without exception. He also will eliminate the practice of extreme rendition, where we outsource our torture to other countries."

The Bush adminstration has done terrible things....... WAKE UP!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• "Torture and Tea parties are two totally different issues!"

Where did I compare the two? I just find it oh so coincidental they released this the day after the tea parties. Makes me feel even more strongly the true intentions were to shift the focus off of the current administration (whom hundreds of thousands of people were protesting the day before) BACK onto the previous.

Youre missing the whole question of this post. Yes I know torture is wrong, yes I know this was Obamas campaign promise, but what do you think the TRUE intentions of the release of these documents were? Do you believe it was just because he wanted us to know, or for more cynical reasons? What was the point in releasing the documents besides to make Americans outraged over the previous administration? Especially since theyre not planning to prosecute.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:31 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The Bush adminstration has done terrible things....... WAKE UP!

I totally agree!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OMG, read people. The question didn't have to do with Bush directly. It has to do with the release of this info.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I feel as if there is more to their true intentions of releasing these documents the day after the tea parties. Was it to shift the negative focus off our current Administration back onto the previous?
    Absolutely NOT!
    There are so many issues concerning America right now. Each one is separate. The issue of torture had Nothing to do with the day after tea party.
    One of Obama's themes during the campaign was bringing greater transparency and ethics to Washington. Now we are getting it.... knowing what has and will happen with both sides.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• The question didn't have to do with Bush directly ......

The entire issue of torture has to do with the Bush Administration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• "The entire issue of torture has to do with the Bush Administration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

I didnt want to post this so people could argue about the torture that went on during the bush administration, we all know its inhumane whether theyre suspected terrrorists or not.. lets get past that part please.. My question has to do with the intentions of the releasing of the documents.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:46 AM on Apr. 18, 2009