Christian music in resturant piggy back question...

I was reading over alot of the answers and many of you thought it was just awesome that the owner played Christian music Or just didn't understand why she wouldn't want to listen to it...

So let me ask you this. Would you want to take your kids to a resturant where they were singing prases to Pagan or Islamic gods and/or goddesses??

It's the same type of thing. Those of us that are not Christian are forced to just "blow it off" or "tune it out" even though it's not what we feel is right. Now, while I personally wouldn't really care, I don't think that ANY religion should be shown preferance to in a public forum. NONE at all!! If you want to listen to religious music at home, in your car or even at a religion based store that's great.

But living in a country where we have a freedom of religion we should also have freedom FROM religion.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A private restaurant has the right to play whatever the owner wants. A franchisee on the other hand is limited by the franchise and the Cooperate franchise is limited by consumer pressure. They have less rights and more obligations than a private establishment, much more than using the name. They have to uphold the corporate image. Either way I have a vote...with my money and my feet. If I don't like it I won't spend my money there. I doubt that any restaurant would survive long playing Pagan music unless serving a large Pagan demographic and public out cry would collapse a franchisee with a Pagan customer base anyway once it gets out. Either way I prefer neutrality in dining music.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Tho most music in a public place normally doesn't bother me I see your point. If pagan or other religious type music is played there would be an outcry over it.
    I know that in Hamtramck MI most of the music in every store/ restaurant and out on the city streets it's all Islamic music and that is bc of the culture/people there. That would be the same for any-one sec of people of (all) the same beliefs in the area.
    I think in extremely diverse areas of cultures and beliefs I think music (if played within a facility)should cater to all or none maybe if they don't want to, they should put up 'Warning' signs out letting the public know ... no matter what you do there is always going to be that group that will cry-out about it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with playing Christian music in a restaurant, but you are right in the sense that you shouldn't be forced to listen to the music...but you also are not forced to go to that restaurant either so it can go both way.
    pajamk

Answer by pajamk at 11:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I worked in a public resturant for almost 8 years... What about the workers?? THEY are forced to listen if they want their jobs... My point is that you said you don't see anything wrong with playing Christian music - but would you if they were singging prases to a Pagan God/dess?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• This is my answer for the other post.

Lots of public places play music, I either like it or I don't.  I'm not sure how you are defining "christian music" but I'm not keen on christian rock (although my daughter listens to a lot of it) but I love Christmas carols.  I have to say that I much prefer christian music over rap and hip hop any day, I can't stand opera or country and who the hell likes elevator music?  Given those choices I would take christian music any day.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't believe in the freedom from religion thing. Basically that is taking away the rights of others to thier own religion.

I am very very passionate that everyone has the right to practice their religion. Because I want to make sure I have the right to practice mine, in a culture that is increasingly anti-Christian. (no bashing, my opinion).

So YES!!! Let the owner play pagan music. Let the other owner play Christian music. Let the athiest play whatever secular music they want. I personally like going to places with Christian music. I hate waiting in line for my Subway sandwich, while my daughter dances to "Sexy-Back" and asks me what the lyrics mean. :)

But we are Americans. We need to protect our rights for religious expression. And stop taking them away. Let us all express how we want to.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:53 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'm not trying to take away any ones freedom... BUT shouldn't I have the freedom to visit a public establishment or work there without having to listen to praises to a god that I don't fee is right?

No one here has answerd the actual question. We live in a Paganfobic country and I feel that most people would complain if they heard somone singging prases to the goddess at McDonalds... Sure the owner has the right to play what they want, but just as I don't want to have to listen to prases of Christ you shouldn't have to listen to "The Charge of the Goddess" when you go to eat

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I missed the other question. Are you talking about a government ran building like the court house or a restaurant like in your post.
    A government building no I do not agree with it.

A public restaurant like TGIF or Chili's no problem. I have the right to not go the restaurant if they play music I do not like. There are a few restaurants in the are that play music I do not think my kids should be around and I do not go there.

Your rights end where mine begin! I have the right to play the music I want in a restaurant I own and you have the right to visit and spend money at another store if you do not like my choice of music.

If you can't handle listening to the Christian music at your job get another job. If I cannot handle listening to pagan music at my job I will get another job. Quick trampling on my rights and get over it alreadry.
    Anonymous

• Sabrina, you have the right to visit any place open to the public but you do not have the right to dictate what music they play. You have the right to work at any place that will hire you, but you do not have the right to tell them what music should be played. As a Christian I would not try to take away the right of a store owner to play pagan music if they want. The music choice is often a a marketing device to target certain customers. If the music choice is not of my liking I will not be a customer but I would never be so egotistical to think I have the right to tell a store or restaurant what type of music should be played.
    Anonymous

• I honestly wouldn't go to a restaurant that played the kind of music you are talking about. Only b/c it would prove to me that I am eating food sacrificed to other's idols. That is a no no to me. I dodn't read the other post(yet,)but I don't feel anyone should have to eat someowhere and listen to music they don't like. If i was somone who claimed to be tolerant. Which I don't. That would be lieing. I don't see how the music would offend me.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009