Honestly, whats the most painful part about labor?

Before pushing?
During pushing?
After pushing?

And HONESTLY, do you REALLY feel a whole lot better physically after you have a baby, or will your body hurt?
im due in 3 days and i REALLY want to know what im in for

MissKellee

Asked by MissKellee at 11:39 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stay out of bed while you labor. I was told I HAD to stay in bed (which now I know is a bunch of crock) and it was so painful. They "let" me sit up for my epi and just sitting up made a HUGE difference. If I was "allowed" to sit up then I wouldn't have even needed the epi. Oh, and the epi site hurt for months afterwards.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• it all depends on how high your pain tolerance is. honestly, stubbing my toe hurt waaaay worse than giving birth for me. and yeah. I did feel better after I gave birth. loosing that extra 15lbs immediately made my achy joints feel better. I felt spry again! lol.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• During pushing and you will feel better after that. and 3 min later the sack comes out but that really doesn't give you pain
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• OH, I wanted to say that one reason you feel soo much better afterwards is because of all the hormones released. It really gives you a high.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Contractions were the worst for me as I was in labor for 35 hours. However, I only pushed for 10 minutes and only had 2 stitches, so that part wasn't too bad. When your baby is born, you are on cloud 9. You feel that way for awhile, but then, yes, of course you are a litlte sore afterwards, but it is 10x better than your 9th month! I started feeling completely better about 4-6 weeks, but a newborn can take a lot out of you too. Every labor is different but there's always the same outcome. Just remember you will get through it! There will be an end to it and you will have your gorgeous baby soon! Good luck and Congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I HATED the during pushing part. Apparently "I wasnt doing it right" as told by my doctor and I wasnt allowed to vocalize my pain "It'll push the baby back in". I had some terrible pressue on my right hip the entire time that really felt like an elephant was stomping on my hip. After he came out I felt SO much better because all of that stopped.
    GL---im so excited for you! :)
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I hate when doctors try and blame mothers. The best thing to do is to educate yourself. Our bodies were meant to give birth and it annoys doctors when they can't control it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with the first poster: DO NOT LABOR LAYING IN BED!
    I labored at home, in the shower and walking around for just an hour and 15mins, and when I got to the hospital, I was 7cm! Then I labored on a birthing ball for a few hours and was the full 10. The very end of labor is the worst...I think is transition, from around 7-8cm to the full 10. Toward the end my contractions were coming about every 35-40s and lasting at least a minute...it's hard because I didn't feel like I was getting any rest. After about 3 1/2 hours of labor I was ready to push, and let me tell you, it felt AMAZING to push. I had NO discomfort when my son was being born (except from the contractions) and him crowning and being born, was awesome! And the contractions stop IMMEDIATELY after your baby is born. I felt AMAZING, I told everyone I was ready to run a marathon! my son was born 7lbs 14ozs & 19.5in after 3hrs 52min of labor, and yes, he's my first
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• hahaha Carlie! :D
    ill definitly be sure to remember that! ill be doing tons of walking then =P
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 11:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Before pushing was the worst for me! I had NO DRUGS!!! Didn't want any! Of course I'm sure its different for every woman. As it will be for YOU!! I do wish you all the best of luck w/ your new baby!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2009