SMOKING a form of child abuse?

Do think smoking could be a form of child abuse for young children? I know I'm stirring the pot, but I deep down believe that constant smoking around a young child is truly awful. I'm not talking about a social smoker, when you light a cig or cigar once in awhile in your backyard...I mean hardcore smokers, the ones that make their children and their little angels backpacks reek of smoke.
What do you think? I won't even post anon for you, cause I want to hear your opinions, if you're opposed persuade me in my ideas, I'll keep an open mind.

lilmommy0416

Asked by lilmommy0416 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Abuse? NO! Neglect? Yes.

The term "child abuse" is thrown around way too lightly now a days.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes. Just as giving you baby a bottle of beer to drink would be abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Well if that is true, then I was severely abused as a child. I don't really see it as abuse, but I do think it's very selfish on the parent's part. Especially with everything we know today about cigarette smoking. My dad had to quit smoking when I was very young do to health problems, but my mother continued to smoke and still does, in front of him! I think that's the epitome of selfishness, and my experience is that many smokers are like my mother. It doesn't matter to them if other people will suffer, they just want their 'fix'.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• In a closed room or car I agree is child neglect. To me abuse is beating, verbally attacking or sexually attacking a child.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think it is. They are affecting (or risking) the health of their children.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• when I think of child abuse I think of someone's direct actions causing harm to their children...and with neglect, I think of failure to prevent harm.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, but the smoker is only thinking about themselves. The entire household smells of smoke. Yuck!
    Anonymous

• I cant stand smoke. I saw a guy yesterday holding his daughter ..while he was smoking. awful.. I dont mind if u smoke but dont let your bad habits effect the rest of us who know better.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We agreed to watch a neighbor's baby for an afternoon. Poor infant smelled of stale cigarette smoke. It was in her hair, on her skin, in her clothing and blankets. We took her outside because it was smelling up the house. Luckily the weather was decent.
    Abuse... I don't think so. I don't like to think so, anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 12:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It's not abuse if the parent/s smokes outside and away from the child. If the parent (literally) hot-boxes the car/home (eg. cracking a window), well that is abuse.
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 18, 2009