• In the Spotlight:

How do you dispose of used frying oil?

Do you pour it in the drain? The toilet? The sewer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't deep fry, but for grease that results from cooking, I either put it in a container that I put in the trash, or if it isn't much, I put a paper towel in the bottom of one of those bags the newspaper comes in and put the grease in that. I just googled and it is recommended to not pour grease down the drain, it can clog home pipes and storm drains. Even washing it down with hot water, the hot water cools and can cause clogs. The article even recommended wiping greasy containers with a paper towel to wash as little grease as possible down the pipes. The article said large amounts of grease shouldn't even be treated by putting in containers and the land fill. It recommended a city cooking grease collection place, but I know there isn't anything like that around here. I think I'd have to go with putting it in a sealed container and disposing.

Answer by Bmat at 12:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't use much grease to cook with either! BUT I live in the COUNTRY, and what little grease that I do use I just add some flour w/ it and sit it outside and we have raccoons, skunks, and ALL kinds of animals that LOVE it!! lol
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• We just use old pop containers and then dump it or put paper towels in the trash and dump it. Never ever pour it down your drain, even if you use hot water it will eventually clog your drains.

Anonymous

• Yes, unless it's in the fry-daddy. I use crisco shortning to fry with. Once i've used it , it always stinks to me, so i throw it out. I do save bacon grease though, It's a great season for beans and soups.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I pour it in the yard. We rarely fry anything though. We got a deep fryer recently though, which we will not use very often, I don't know what we'll do with that grease.
    Anonymous

• We rarely deep-fry, and when we do it is in a small heavy pot so that we can use as little oil as possible. We strain the oil and reuse it if possible; if that's NOT possible, I pour it into the cracks between flagstones of the front walk. It's cheaper and safer than "weed killers" and no, it doesn't draw bugs.
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have an actual deep fryer. I buy a container of oil that is the perfect size to fill the fryer to the line. Then, I save the container. When it comes time to change the oil, I have a funnel and I put it back into the original container. We don't have any recycling places around here (live way out in the country, and would have to drive about 4 hrs away to find one in the nearest large enough city), so I just take it to the dump.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yep I have to drive 4 hours to recycle oil too. once the oil is cooled I pour it in a milk jug and just toss it. I know it's bad but around here we have a dump and zero options for recycling. As far as bacon grease I let it harden and wipe it out into the trash. hamburger grease, I cut open a pop can and pour it in the can and when its cold I toss it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I pour it in a spot in my yard. I don't know if that's harmful to the environment....I hope not!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• through it in the yard LOL
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 3:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009