When your baby has too much mucus...

what have you done to get it out? Besides saline drops and a humidifier I don't know what else to do since she's only 2 months old. Her mucus seems to act up early in the morning around 4 am. but I don't see anything up her nose, I do saline and still nothing drips down. Has this happened to anyone else?

Orchid7

Asked by Orchid7 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Saline and then suck it out with a blb syringe.
    Sleeping at an incline in something like a bouncy seat or incline her matress by putting a pillow under one end will help the mucus drain
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my daughter had that alot. we had to use the nose suctioner alot and ometime we will just use a q tip with warm water to clean her nose but just the tip of it.. did u use the vicks plugins for babies? that worked for her also.
    Anonymous

• Steam in the shower and suction.
    Saline drops then suction.
    Elevate the head of her bed to help with drainage.

The snot sucker will be your friend until she's close to three, when it stops working because her nasal passages are too big. lol

Be careful how much you do suction, though. It irritates the inside of the nasal passages and can cause swelling making it harder for her to breathe. 3-4 times a day is plenty unless you can SEE more, then just suction what you can see.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes!!! My baby is three months old and she has horrible mucus and congestion. She had started at 1 month because she keeps catching a cold. My doc told me thats how they show that they have a cold is getting all the mucus. My suggestion is to watch for fever and I suck it out with a blue thing I got from the hospital. You need a good thing to suck out there nose. You give saline drops leave her/him on his back for at least two minutes them you try and get it out. What also works for me is when she sneezes It brings up all the mucus and then I suck out her nose as much as can. Goodluck I know its scary but just be consistent. Idont know if your baby gags on it but mine does that just means she is swallowing it which is good. Good LUck!!!!!!
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To HeidilovesNyla, yes, mine gags too, and yep she did have a little cold but the mucus doesn't seem to go away...at least there is no cough, fever or lack of appetite. I just feel bad for her because it bothers her so much in the morning. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks ladies for your help!

Orchid7

Answer by Orchid7 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009