What is my relation to my brother's wife's sister (if any)?

My brother got married. His wife has two sisters. My husband says that those sisters are also my SIL's. I say they are not related. So...if my brother marries into a family, am I now related to that family as well? If so, what's the relation??

goldenfox

Asked by goldenfox at 12:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Technically they are now "connected" to you, but there is no handy title for what that means. They aren't your SILs. They're your SIL's sisters, which can still be considered family. They are your family by "kinship."

According to the WikiPedia entry for Sister-in-law: A sister-in-law is one's brother's wife, or one's spouse's sister. One's spouse's brother's wife is also considered a sister-in-law.[1][2] The plural of this term is "sisters-in-law". So your brothers' wives are your SILs, your Dh's sister is your SIL, and his brothers' wives are your SILs. (And your sisters and brothers' wives are his.) Your brother's wife's sisters are not your SILs... but they are your kin now and could be called "SIL" for convenience.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think they are just your sil's sisters.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Technically they are not, but if you want to consider them that I guess it's OK.

Anonymous

• She's you SIL but her sisters aren't really of any relation. However if they're close enough it's perfectly fine to consider them family.
    Anonymous

• I googled, and all I could find was to ask if you share a common ancestor or a family member by marriage. Since you don't, she would not be related to you. Your husband's brother is your brother-in-law. But your brother's wife is not related to you by ancestors or by your marriage and would not be. Although it is commonly said that she is your sister-in-law due to her marriage to your brother. But her parents, her siblings are not relations. I would call them connections.

Answer by Bmat at 12:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• LOL Collinsky just confused to crap outta me. I totally get it and already knew that but the way all that was worded made me have to read it twice!
    Anonymous

• personally they turned out to officially be called (by me) the pains in my ass but thank goodness divorce released me from that bond.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

LOL Sorry... I deleted it trying to fix it a bit but apparently not before it confused people. I just reposted it, but I'm afraid it's still a jumble!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• alls i gotta say is i married my brother in laws brother so i never considered my now husband related to me until i married him lol
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Well, it is up to you, he married into the family not you, so if you wanted to you could say they're not my family and therefore I wash my hands of them. Usually siblings of one person has little to do with siblings of that persons spouse. I look at my brother in-law and sister in-law as family, and siblings and although I have had differences with my sister in-law I don't consider her any less a part of my husband and therefore any less a part of myself. My brothers however, do not forgive my sister in-law and probably wouldn't bat an eye if she asked for something, they don't consider her a sister of any kind and if they did help it'd be because they do care about my husband and I not because they care about her... they do like my brother in-law and do consider him a brother like figure.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2009