Does anyone know how to cook for an 8 year old picky vegetarian?

My daughter has been a vegetarian now for 2 years. I don't think it's a phase at this point! She won't eat any vegetarian "meats" chicken, bacon, and so on. I think she thinks I'm trying to trick her into eating meat. I'd never do that! She lives on pasta, rice, and mac and cheese. She eats some veggies, but not many!?! I would love any ideas!!!

mamnampo

Asked by mamnampo at 12:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would encourage her to eat plenty of fruits and greens. Fruits and lots of them will make up for the lack of vegetables if shes not a big fan. Despite this though its important she also get some dark leafy greens in..so if she isnt going to eat these in a salad you could try some green smoothies with her (fruits blended with greens), You cant taste the greens only the fruit. My son loves them! Greens will also give sufficient amino acids if she is eating them daily.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have a rice cooker that also steams veggies!! OMG!! I LOVE IT!! JMO.. lol I cook the rice and veggies, and when it gets done I put cheese on the veggies.. the cheese will melt down onto the rice... I can make a meal out of that alone!! lol I also cook spinach (in a can) w/ scrambled eggs in it and put cheese on it! I know it sounds nasty BUT its really good.. Just a few ideas!! Good luck!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Will she consume dairy? A Big thing at my house is frozen fruit blended with vanilla yogurt and a splash of milk. Peanut butter on toast with plums or canteloupes for breakfast. Veggie mini pizzas--english muffins topped with tomato sauce and cheese, and all different veggies (shredded carrot, chopped peppers, brocolli, tomatoes, etc)> We made monster pizzas for halloween and I loved it as a kid, so she would probably get a kick out of designing the face on her pizza.

Overall, offer fruits and veggies with every meal, and fruits and veggies for snacks (not crackers or the like). Explain the importance of a balanced diet, and have her sit with you and find recipes from a vegetarian cookbook. Good luck mama!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 2:38 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Like my Dad always said "they'll eat when they're hungry" lol I think it's time to be the parent here....
    Anonymous

• the veggie pizza idea is good. Also you can put veggies into EVERYTHING, spaghetti, mac n cheese, rice etc.etc.etc.
    Also veggie lasgna, lots of salads, veggie omlets if she still does eggs.

And LOTS of beans, nuts for protein.
    Being a vegetarian does not make you automatically healthy you actually have to be VERY careful to be balanced. When I first went veggie at 16 I did not do it correctly and made my self very sick, then I had to go back to poultry for a while b/f I went veg. again (for 14 years until my 2nd. preg)
    Oh and those fake burgers etc. are not always the healthiest, I did have one point when I was eating them a lot and my gyn. told me to stop b/c they were messing with my estrogen levels -- something to do with the way the soy is processed.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'd look on line and/or consult with a nutrisionist to help make it a balanced diet. Or actually have her do some of the reasearch and plan meals with you she's old enough to help and to see what she needs to eat and why.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my 15 yo went vegetarian between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I agree most of those veggie meats stink. Gross. The moringstar brand(green box) sells some good items. The black bean burgers are to die for and I love meat. They also sell a ginger teriyaki veggie cake that is highly recommended. We looked online when she started and found that unless she's vegan that they recommend some animal proteins for growing kids...like milk, cheese and eggs. Also watch her weight and hair. The first signs that this diet may not be working for her. We do not use soy either cause we were told that soy isn't as good for you as first claimed. You can pureer veggies and sneak them into things she eats. I make cubes of stuff that I add to almost all meals cause I have one child who doesn't eat his veggies. If you want the ideas I use just send me a message and I'll get back with you. good luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009