Recycling??

I want to recycle... But it's not offered here. There isn't even anywhere with in decent driving distance where I could take the stuff... Any suggestions??

**I know this isn't really a religion question but you ladies tend to lean green...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, what can you do, other than drive the distance?

You could write to your city officials asking for a recycling program..
    Anonymous

• Maybe there are businesses nearby (local grocery store or something) you could work with to make a recycling program?
    Anonymous

• That sucks!
    I can't think of anything, because we have always had recycling here. Driving a long distance in order to have to recycle isn't very 'green' either.

I will have to think about this...
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Would it be worth saving up the stuff and making the drive once every month or so?

Answer by Bmat at 1:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• well from what ive heard this is how recycling got started in my area.

someone (like you) wanted to recycle but there wasnt anywhere to do it. so she got a buncha signatures from other ppl who also wanted to recycle. they formed a coalition & sent a ton of stuff to the mayor, reps, state senators, everyone. the higher ups eventually figured out how much it would cost to start recycling & the city voted on it. we pay $2 a month added to our trash bill & they pick it up at the curb.

so maybe you & some other ppl could do that?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• At the last town meeting the subject was brought up... And they voted... and something like 200 to 12 voted against a recycling program... Around here no one wants to be bothered...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• That is a reason  why mandatory recycling would be nice.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Here we have one large recycle bin parked behind one of 2 small party type stores in town... and I think once a month it gets emptied...
    Maybe something like that being brought up at your next meeting Sabrina, not have individual containers, but one located somewhere in town and that gives people to choice...
    Now I re use a lot of my glass items and the plasitc bags are re-used or donated to the thrift shop here in town... for our newpapers and such we are can burn so it goes into our burn pit once a month or so...
    and I agree whole heartly with hannahwill... it should be mandatory recycling all over...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• ITA gmasboy.
    When we lived in a smaller town there was a few larger bins throught the town for recycling that was a start. You could store it in large bins and take it to a recycling center every month or so or you can resuse using examples like gmasboy.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• we return our soda/beer cans and bottles to Wal-Mart and you can compost your paper along with your organic/biodegradable stuff in a worm bed then use it for your garden in the fall, we bought the cloth bags from our local stores so I'm not bringing home so many plastic ones.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009