Do you home school your children?

I am searching for a mom who is successfully homeschooling her children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes I do. :-)

Check out the Happy Homeschoolers and Secular Homeschooling groups here on Cafemom (there are a few other homeschooling groups here, too, but those seem to be the most active). Also, check the forums at www.homeschoolspot.com --- great folks over there. There are several great Yahoo groups, too.

My children are currently 10, 6, 5, & 2 and have never attended public school.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I did. I felt successful in it. I did it until 5th grade. My son was zooming along quicker than I felt I could comfortably challenge him. I entered them in a small private school for 1 year, and then public school for the remainder. They were always ahead of their peers, and AP classes throughout. My son graduated college with a 4.3 average...18 months ahead of time. My daughter skipped 12th grade and went to college, the state paid for it. They are now 29 & 26, and in their chosen careers, and very well adjusted adults. They can converse with anyone, any age, any profession. They are very social, and very well liked. It was a wonderful experience for all of us, and I feel like it gave them a really good start.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• my mom did! lol and I plan too!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes, I do! And we love every moment of our homeschool experience.
    auroragold

Answer by auroragold at 4:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I do not homeschool my kids.But if you think it would be good for your kids do it. Do what you think is best for them.
    Laurakenny10

Answer by Laurakenny10 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yep :) I agree with Laura...check out that group! It's been a huge help for me.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would not do something so ridiculous. School is school, kids dont only go there to learn, but to socialize and learn life skills. It is also a few hours a day that mom gets a break from the kids, or mom can work because the economy sucks, no need to pay a babysitter, just send them to school. Even if you do not need to work, it is good to make extra money just in case, or you can get out and experience some things, make some friends, and enjoy life. If it isnt necessary, dont do it, its not good for your kids. Do what you want though, they arent my kids, so I really dont care that much. If you feel its right, do it, more power to ya. But remember about your free time.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 10:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• MammaBella....that was so rude and ignorant. Do some research. My kids socialize and I still get my free time. My kids' education is far more important than my free time and sending my kids to school right now is NOT an option. You're narrow-minded.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes I am homeschooling my six yr old. We love it!! It is awsome to actually see the lights go off in his head and knowing that he is getting it!! He is reading pretty good and trying to read everything. I love my kids enough to stay at home with them and to teach them and not make them victims of public school. I feel like people are using it for daycare!! And to you mammabella you really should know what you are talking about before you write!
    ellies3boys

Answer by ellies3boys at 2:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Mamabella, homeschooling is NOT ridiculous. what IS ridiculous is making such pronouncements regarding a subject about which you clearly know little.

And I've seen what passes for socialization at public schools, and we can do without it, thanks.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009