What could be wrong with my fish?

My shark fish dies,2 molly fish,now my sucker fish!! I have been changing the water and the filter...so what is it? I feed them once a day now. Now I have a neon tetra and a tiger barb left. It look like my neon tetra has a white spot on him now. The waters not cloudy anymore. What can I do to keep them alive? Thanks!

Mumjen2

Asked by Mumjen2 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Are you getting them all from the same store? Honestly some places just have crappy fish....
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• buy disttilled water at the store maybe your water is bad from pipe work in the neighborhood. This once happened to me in my apt building.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• All the ones I bought from petco are dead. The rest I bought from walmart.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was thinking of using the distilled water.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• the white spots could be ich (sounds like ick).... sounds dumb i know but that's a real fish disease
    they sell ich treatments at walmart & pet stores that you can put in the water
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with Josiesmommy, it sounds like ich. You can get ich drops at the pet store and save your fish.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Sounds like it could be ich...

You need to buy Rid Ich by Kordon Aquarium. Do a 50% water change, do not change the filter, treat the tank for 7 days, then do a 25% water change.
    A couple of things- what size tank do you have?
    The fish you had were not compatible...sharks and tiger barbs are semi aggressive and the mollies and tetras are community. If the tank is new you do not need a bottom feeder for at least 2 months. The pleco should be fed algae wafers or zucchini at night. Tiger Barbs are fin nippers, and schoolers so you should have at least 6 of them or more.. the neons are also schoolers and should be in groups of 3 or more.
    Oh, and don't change your filter the same day you do a water change, do it a week after so that you don't lose all of your good bacteria.
    I've had fish for over 20 yrs, so if you have any questions let me know. I'm not sure if you've had fish for long, but those are things I tell everyone.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:04 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You need to treat the water and even go ask one of the professionals at an actual pet store (not walmart), they give you drops to put in the water so the fish can breathe easier and you want your tank to run for a few days before you even put any fish in it. Plus, you actually want some algae in the tank, not a lot, but some, it actually helps. Get a bottom feeder after a few months, you don't need one right away or there's nothing for it to really eat. Plus, check with the professionals to make sure your fish can be together in the same tank, certain kinds just don't get along and try to eat each other, so get kinds that will get along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thanks so much for the help!!
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2009